Where you can have your say about anything to do with the site

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Postby Twang46 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:28 pm

Anyone know why I need to "log in" every time I visit the site ?

I tick the box on the log in screen to avoid this without success, it used to work ok till a couple of weeks ago ( I think)

Cheers

Dick.
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Re: Log in

Postby Admin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:24 pm

It's something to do with your browser cookies. This can be caused if you have a corrupted cookie, you're out of available space or they have become disabled for some reason.

What browser are you using? Most of them have a built in "autostop-working" subroutine which appears to be designed to kick in at the least convenient times.

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Site Admin

Postby Twang46 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Bob

I'm using IE8 under Win7

Now I think of it it is just since I started using a different laptop a few weeks back that this has happened (was XP Pro, IE8)

Other sites that I use with similar log in procedures are not affected :?

The few seconds needed to log in is not a big problem, but as I'm not to familiar with Win7 yet I was thinking that it was perhaps something obvious that I had missed.

Cheers

Dick.
Twang46

Postby Twang46 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:14 am

The plot thickens........... since I loaded Google chrome, auto logging in has been restored :?

Isn't Win7 a wonderful thing !

Dick.
Twang46

Postby shadowkarl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:29 am

Although I have a windows professional 7 software with the normal webbrowser the autologin does not work for me. Each time - even when the computer is running the whole day - I have to log in again!!
It works for me certainly for the proboards Charlie Hall site, without any problems!
regards
Shadowkarl
shadowkarl

Postby stratmantd » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:03 am

IE8 is a wee bit outdated now and the current IE is IE11.

Clearing out your cookies every now and then will keep things healthy. Download a free cleaner called CCleaner and run it and you will not only delete all those cookies on your system but also get rid of loads of temporary and log files which are not required and which slow down your system.

When the new cookie is created when you tick the box to save your password it should create a working one.

When installing software you download for free, always be aware that they might try to get you to install some other software which might not be desirable, e.g. google toolbar. NEVER install these extras or if you do, uninstall them asap. Toolbars are especially bad for slowing down your machine.
stratmantd

Postby David Martin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:10 am

If you have set the "private browsing" option in your IE, that will produce this result... so will Firefox...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby apachepete » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:47 am

Hi all

Any advice for IPad owners I've been logging in every time for nearly 3 years ever since I bought my IPad (2) please

Regards Pete
apachepete

Full Real Name: peter donald

Postby noelford » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:06 am

Dick, try using a decent browser, like Firefox.

Pete, I'm not sure why you have to keep logging in on your iPad. I have the iPad2 and most of the time stay logged in .
noelford

Return to Members' Comments