Echo machines...

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Echo machines...

Postby Twang46 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:04 pm

The thing that has always struck me about these "echo machine" discussions is that the man himself seems to view all this with some amusement & bewilderment that people are going to such extreme lengths to emulate that "sound" that he & the guys took for granted in 1960/1/2 when recording.
They really did just plug the guitar into the echo machine into the amp's they were using & the studio mic'd up the amps then recorded what they heard at the sound desk (with all the studio effects/enhancements that were in vogue at that time)

I really don't think the echo is the problem it's all the other stuff like pre-amps/power amps/connections/mic's/wow flutter/compression/studio added stuff..............the list is endless down as far to was it raining/ambient temperature.....all these things have an effect on the recorded sound to some degree or another.

To try & replicate all that in one "box" is always going to be impossible to get 100% :(

Sadly digital processing is the only chance there is that all this information can be accessed & processed at anything like a "reasonable" development/manufacturing/cost-performance ratio.

I've heard people play (both as a band & solo with bt's) through an Alesis (GT) straight into an AC30 & sound just wonderful & that to me would be my "Holy Grail" if there is such a thing. However I sold my AC15 ( and MStomp)in favour of a Fender Blues Junior/Etap2hw so I'm a bit of a lost cause :lol:

Dick.
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby P.G.M.G. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:40 pm

On a site of the firm Catalinbread I have found a new pedal, named Caltalinbread Echorec. You can find several demonstrations of the pedal on You Tube.
It has 12 programms which simulate several combinations of the tape heads. Does anyone know this pedal? Can you use it for numbers of the Shadows?
Here follows the text on their website:
The Catalinbread Echorec has been in the making for several years, and is finally ready to be released. This multi-tap delay is based around the legendary Binson Echorec, an arcane tube echo which incorporated 4 playback heads and a spinning magnetic drum as its recording medium. The Binson is probably most famously known for Pink Floyd's use of the unit, and has long captivated musicians for both its rhythmic and ambient characteristics.

The Catalinbread Echorec has 12 programs which allow for all combinations of the 4 delay heads (something the original was never capable of.) The original also has a fixed speed, and thus a fixed delay time, while the Catalinbread Echorec can go from 40ms-1000ms. The repeats give you the ability for a single repeat or can go into spaceship feedback. The tone control is very useful, able to be tonally flat or dark and resonant on one side or bright and bubbly on the other. The mix allows for 100% wet or dry signal. Inside the pedal you have the ability to run in true-bypass or trails mode, as well as a trimmer for gain and modulation.

Not only is the Catalinbread Echorec extremely versatile in its controls, the audio path was designed to be big, lush, and even more dynamic in its feel than the original. We've always designed pedals with this thought in mind, and continue to make effects that are extensions of your instrument rather than mere boxes at your feet.

Greetings,

Peter
P.G.M.G.

Full Real Name: Peter Geuijen

Postby dave robinson » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:12 pm

P.G.M.G. wrote:On a site of the firm Catalinbread I have found a new pedal, named Caltalinbread Echorec. You can find several demonstrations of the pedal on You Tube.
It has 12 programms which simulate several combinations of the tape heads. Does anyone know this pedal? Can you use it for numbers of the Shadows?
The Catalinbread Echorec has been in the making for several years, and is finally ready to be released. This multi-tap delay is based around the legendary Binson Echorec, an arcane tube echo which incorporated 4 playback heads and a spinning magnetic drum as its recording medium. The Binson is probably most famously known for Pink Floyd's use of the unit, and has long captivated musicians for both its rhythmic and ambient characteristics.

The Catalinbread Echorec has 12 programs which allow for all combinations of the 4 delay heads (something the original was never capable of.) The original also has a fixed speed, and thus a fixed delay time, while the Catalinbread Echorec can go from 40ms-1000ms. The repeats give you the ability for a single repeat or can go into spaceship feedback. The tone control is very useful, able to be tonally flat or dark and resonant on one side or bright and bubbly on the other. The mix allows for 100% wet or dry signal. Inside the pedal you have the ability to run in true-bypass or trails mode, as well as a trimmer for gain and modulation.

Not only is the Catalinbread Echorec extremely versatile in its controls, the audio path was designed to be big, lush, and even more dynamic in its feel than the original. We've always designed pedals with this thought in mind, and continue to make effects that are extensions of your instrument rather than mere boxes at your feet.

Greetings,

Peter

If this is as you describe it will be a great sounding machine, but not really the right sound for Shadows stuff, particularly the early stuff. The thing is with the Meazzi Echo was the narrow bandwidth of the echo which adds to the character of the sound, the Binson is clearly too good (I tried a Binson and it was wonderful but not the right sort of sound if you're aiming to get close to the original sound of the Meazzi) Also the echo timings will differ from those used by Hank on the old records, so it will sound different - still good though. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby P.G.M.G. » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reaction.

Peter
P.G.M.G.

Full Real Name: Peter Geuijen

Postby dave robinson » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:08 pm

P.G.M.G. wrote:Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reaction.

Peter

I had a listen to their demos, it sounds a great machine !! :thumbup:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby rogera » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:30 pm

I hadn't heard of this unit before but although it doesn't give echo timings that are the same as old Meazzi units it does sound very impressive.

It has a tone control on the delays which makes it even more versatile.

There are many demos on Youtube and they are well worth a listen.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 am

It's intresting seeing it in a small pedal format lets hope a few other machines get similar treatment
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:15 pm

I have to admit that I like the sound of this Echorec pedal enough to have made further enquires. True it isn't the ultimate Shads echo, but I know it'll do a job for me. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:08 pm

dave robinson wrote:
P.G.M.G. wrote:On a site of the firm Catalinbread I have found a new pedal, named Caltalinbread Echorec. You can find several demonstrations of the pedal on You Tube.

Greetings,

Peter

As I mentioned a few weeks ago when this post first caught my eye, I listened to the demos and did some research and ordered the Catalinbread Echorec which arrived today.
I have had a quick play with it and thus far can tell you that it does indeed tick all the boxes for Shadows music and it sounds great, difficult to tell the difference between the other machines I own. It has a great modulation built into the echo path and it can be made to 'wow' in varying degrees or not at all.
Unlike the Binson Echroec that it is modelled on, it has all the echo taps to recreate the correct patches for Shads music, they do make a point of explaining this in the spiel, which is what interested me. It isn't difficult to operate (unlike the Vox Delay Lab) as there are twelve selections and with the variable speed control as well as the echo tone control it's simple to re-create those old sounds. Great pedal and a good addition to the collection - recommended !
:thumbup:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby leddo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:06 pm

So where would you rate this Dave on a 1 to 10 basis (with 1 being the best) with the other devices you have?
leddo

Full Real Name: Phil Lynch

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"