Which "sound" is "that" then?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Which "sound" is "that" then?

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:24 am

No. Well I'm not anyway. What I do say though is that the guitar sound you hear is served in a mix of electronic effect and other instruments. They all affect the outcome to a degree :)
Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby bassboogie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:37 am

Quoting Brian May : "When Hank played my guitar (the famous home made one), it sounded like Hank, it's the musician not the instrument."

Whatever you make of that, but I'm no expert.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby Gary Allen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:13 am

bassboogie wrote:Quoting Brian May : "When Hank played my guitar (the famous home made one), it sounded like Hank, it's the musician not the instrument."

Whatever you make of that, but I'm no expert.

Regards, Luigi

Hi Luigi..Thats right ! And in the case of The Shadows it was 4 musicians. Hank had a good crew behind him in the early days. kind regards Gary
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby bassboogie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:21 pm

Well i've just heard "That Sound", on BBC 2.
In my view "That Sound" was there up until Jet left the Shads.
Not to say that what came after Jet's departure was not amazing, but the sound was never the same.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby Tomlinson » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi,
Like all of you ,I take great interest in Listening to members audio files and my ears "Prick up" when I hear a Really good Version of The early Hank sound.

IMHO two of the best are Suaraguitars "Wonderfull Land,and a version of "Cosy" by an Old French chap ,Whose name I have just Forgotten. SORRY.

Cheers

Ian (TOMMO)
Tomlinson

Postby Tomlinson » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:23 pm

Just Found The Frenchmans Name--Gerard Gabriel--AKA--"GG"

Cheers

Ian
Tomlinson

Postby Strummer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:01 am

I have heard, first hand the Rapiers, and in particular Colin Price-Jones (Hank) and they have "that sound"...excellent group.
Strummer

Postby shadowtonio » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:41 pm

hello,

yeah the rapiers, i have seen them several times, they have a great vintage sound, meazzi echo using, old Vox amp
and the have a great show on stage,,,,,,everyone is moving,,,,,,Vox sound on the lower strings and meazzi sound on the
high strings, i like it and the show is faboulous 8-)
and after the show, take a break and have talk with Colin and the other bandmembers.

:) cheers, tonio :D
shadowtonio

Full Real Name: Tonio Kooijman

Postby Strummer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:31 pm

Met Colin Pryce-Jones and have watched the man play I was less than 10 feet away from him. He was a guest at the Shadows club in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire when I went there. Brilliant guitarist and definitely "has that sound and touch of Hank".
Strummer

Postby strat21 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:04 pm

Just read this old thread and just had to comment.I have in the past 12 years ,since I rediscovered The Shadows,or more accurately trying to emulate Hanks sound,old and new,I have heard approx 6 or 7 sounds with various players who have got it right or as close as dammit is to swearing.The closest was Justin Daish at Warwick Shadows club,using the Meazzi echo and a vox amp.That was almost as if the man himself was there.The secret is the vintage gear,but also a very good player,and Justin is just that a very good player.The other times were odd moments,a club band for want of a better description ,again with a Vox amp and a copy of EOTP and Wonderfull Land ,the intro was spot on,and Roger Bayliss playing Frightened City at the Hankies club one night.There have been others,and there will be more in the future,but Hank cant replicate it,and if he cant,what chance do mere mortals stand.Also,if the list at the start is right ,how can you have "The Holy Grail" of a sound if you keep moving the goalposts.
strat21

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"