Amtech Age One

Where you can have your say about anything to do with the site

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Amtech Age One

Postby sixtiesman100 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I used to play back in the 60's and I'm just starting up again. I've been offered an AGE One echo unit for playing The Shadows songs. I just wondered if anyone had any experience with these machines and if they thought it was suitable. Would welcome any comments.

Chris
sixtiesman100

Re: Amtech Age One

Postby AlanMcKillop » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:01 pm

It all depends on how authentic you want your sound to be. Hank was involved in the development of the Age One, but the echo patterns are not Shadows style. The Age Pro is a better unit and more versatile with the benefit of 5 phantom heads which allows better adjustment plus the adjustment of echo volume level on any of the 5 heads. If you want the 'correct' echo for each number you play, then an EFTP unit might be the way to go, but again it's down to your own preference.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby sixtiesman100 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:19 am

Hi Alan

Thanks for your comments. I have been thinking about the EFTP programme but what bothers me is that some of the units: Q2, Magicstomp etc' which are discontinued is who's going to repair them should they go wrong. I rang Alesis and as it seems to be a different firm now, they said they couldn't help. Could I ask you which unit would you suggest?

Cheers
Chris
sixtiesman100

Postby rogera » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:29 am

What you are saying is correct Chris. Most if not all of the most popular echo units are no longer supported.

I think that there is a firm in the UK that will service/repair Alesis units but I don't have details.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby keithmantle » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:42 am

Hi Chris, Charlie Hall who did the programming for the EFTP machines is in the process of bringing out a new 'super eftp' pedal, but no one seems to know when or how much, there is a lot of interest and many names have been put on a waiting list. check out his site
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby fullerton62strat » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi Chris,

Grab it quick!

I've got one that I use for gigging which still includes a couple of Shads numbers. This unit will give you a great retro sound with effects ranging from binson, meazzi and the Vox Long-tom. The important bit is the amp! A vox AC15 or equivalent VALVE job. I've had it since 1998 and its still going great guns. Lovely warm analogue sound live.

Unless you spend megabucks on a unit like a real TVS3, meazzi or a Vox Long Tom you will have difficulty in obtaining THAT retro sound, and even then you may need some added pedals.

Try and get hold of an early release by Mustang Music featuring Zoe McCulloch and Nick Kelly which really shows the Age One off to its best - its called ''Youngster First Steps''. Recorded on 2 inch tape at the Famous Studio, Cardiff, through a Vox AC15 it really shines through. I did a tour with Zoe in the early 2000's from Type & Wear to Edmonton in London and it sounded the same with the set up LIVE. these units are vastly under-rated.

Good luck.

John
fullerton62strat

Postby tommybird » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:09 am

Zoe uses the AmtechPro .much better than the Age one.
Cheers Tommy
tommybird

Full Real Name: tommy bird

Postby AlanMcKillop » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:26 am

..... and if you're looking for an Amtech Age Pro, I have one listed on eBay for sale. :thumbup:
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Return to Members' Comments