Marvin/Legend Adjustment Guide

For any discussion specifically about Burns guitars

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Marvin/Legend Adjustment Guide

Postby David Martin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:50 pm

Downloaded from Burns site, but posted here just in case!!

BURNS Marvin Adjustments.pdf
(427.19 KiB) Downloaded 2537 times
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Re: Marvin/Legend Adjustment Guide

Postby Pierre TEODORI » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks David!

Best regards

Pierre
Pierre TEODORI

Postby Wilson » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:24 am

Hi David,
A happy Easter to you and your family.
Do you know if there is a set up guide available for the Marquee Club Series? Could you tell me where to find it if there is?
Thanks David.
Wilson.
Wilson

Full Real Name: Wilson Eric William Boyd

Postby David Martin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Sorry, but I don't know of one... :(
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby burnsfan123 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:51 am

Hello everybody,

for several years now I'm a proud owner of a Burns Legend, but I'm rather dissatisfied with the adjustion of the vibrato arm. When I play shads stuff the arm gets very soon loose.
Yesterday I had a first gig with a shads cover band and after 6 Songs of soloing the arm was loose again.
Could anybody be so kind and tell me how the vibrato arm is fixed in original (the order of washers ect.). Are there any good tricks? The fibre washer broke yesterday too. Is it available at every iron mongery?
Lots of questions, I would appreciate answers. Thank you in advance.
And yes, I read the Burns adjustment guide, but I didn't get the information I needed.

Best regards
Dan
burnsfan123

Postby Bob Withrington » Tue May 01, 2012 11:36 am

Hi Dan,

Sometime ago I replaced the fibre washers with black nylon washers, bought for a few pence from a store selling screws & fixings, on my Burns Apache. This completely solved the problem. I recently showed this small modification to Barry Gibson who was well impressed with this very simple solution.

Cheers,

Bob
Bob Withrington

Postby burnsfan123 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi Bob,
thank you for your reply. Some time ago I also bought some nylon washers but I faced the problem that they were not very durable.
After the fibre washer was damaged yesterday I took again the nylon ones and at the moment it seems to be okay.

Here is a photograph of the vibrato. Is the order of the washers okay?

Best regards
Dan
burnsfan123

Postby JimN » Tue May 01, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi, Dan.

I don't think you need the washer below the lock nut. Or at least, not such a thick one.

And you need a nylon washer on either side of the tremolo arm itself. In the picture, it isn't possible to see whether you have a washer immediately below the arm - but you need one.

HTH,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby 51 Relic » Tue May 01, 2012 7:36 pm

burnsfan123 wrote:Hello everybody,

for several years now I'm a proud owner of a Burns Legend, but I'm rather dissatisfied with the adjustion of the vibrato arm. When I play shads stuff the arm gets very soon loose.
Yesterday I had a first gig with a shads cover band and after 6 Songs of soloing the arm was loose again.
Could anybody be so kind and tell me how the vibrato arm is fixed in original (the order of washers ect.). Are there any good tricks? The fibre washer broke yesterday too. Is it available at every iron mongery?
Lots of questions, I would appreciate answers. Thank you in advance.
And yes, I read the Burns adjustment guide, but I didn't get the information I needed.

Best regards
Dan

Hi Dan

I too have a Legend that you will see in my aviator . this is a common problem that I solved as follows

1, I leave the washers as fitted as in the factory but i replaced with a new one but before I smeared NUT SAUCE on the washer both sides then re tightened the nut . On string changes all i do is put a little more on without undoing the nut

Cheers Nigel
51 Relic

Postby burnsfan123 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi Jim,

no, there is no second washer under the tremolo arm. I had this some times before, but the vibrato acted flappy and rather indirectly.
So I think I will get washers of harder material and put them on both sides of the lever.

Cheers
Dan
Last edited by burnsfan123 on Tue May 01, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burnsfan123

Next

Return to Burns