Colour Scheme

Where you can have your say about anything to do with the site

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Colour Scheme

Postby BobGreg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:27 pm

I have raised a question directly with Admin re the colour scheme used by the board and been asked to post this in members' comments.

I have been experiencing some difficulty in reading the heading - dominant blue as a result of some visual impairement that I've recently experienced - floaters in my eyes.

Bob has explained that this comes with the software, but that it does provide another option which is a slightly different layout and shades, but still blue and some features like the gallery won't work which is why it's not been offered as an option.

However, Bob is happy to have a look at how and where the colours are set and, in due course, may be able to provide an alternative colour scheme for those who want it but that such an option will take some time to do.

Clearly the priority is for us to get used to the site running properly before any work on user requests is considered.

So as requested I have posted this message in "Member's Comments" asking for an option to change the board colours since Bob will be using this forum as the basis for enhancing and modifying the site when the time comes.

As I said to Bob this is a trivial matter, but I thought it worth raising - does anybody else have a visual related problem with the heading colour - if not, it's not worth following up?
BobGreg

Re: Colour Scheme

Postby OLDEREK » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:09 pm

One thing that may help, if you click on Change Font Size button , it's top right above your handle on the board index page, move your pointer over it to see it............. :D
OLDEREK

Postby dave robinson » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:50 am

Bob, I know it's possible that you could have tried this, but in case you haven't can you adjust the brightness/colour level/ contrast on your monitor - it may help.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Dave Dixon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:30 pm

I quite like the colours overall, but the new logo is very blue! I don't like it as much as the last one

Much better in red and with the Vox (IMHO)!
Dave Dixon

Postby Amanda » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi,

Having a test BBS of my own up and running phpbb it is possible to get different themes for the bbs.
But a lot of these are "way out!".

It is possible to write your own template as well, but this obviously takes time.

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby Spike » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:01 am

Hi Guys

I must agree with Dave, the blue rectangle inside the larger rectangle seems to clash a bit. I mean its Ok but the two blue colours need to blend more with the inner rectangle being slightly plaer or darker to the outside rectangle. Even the same colour on both would look better. I think the old scheme in Red was fine.

Anyway, congratulations to all concerned for their hard work in building this new site.

Spike
Perth Shadows Club
Spike

Full Real Name: Spiro Hatzimichael

Postby bec » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:09 pm

Nice Blue colour , it matches the colour of one of my Stratocasters. :D

thanks for setting this site up
Brian (a.k.a. bec)
bec

Postby Bojan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Here is an example of a different color scheme . . .

http://www.rickresource.com/phpBB3/index.php

(when you log in it turns blue)
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby Admin » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:01 pm

Different people have different preferences, I personally prefer the default scheme we have here. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do but I'll certainly be offering a choice of colour schemes in some way - the layout, however, has to stay as it is.

Problem is, I first have to improve my php programming skills but I'll get there before long.

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:07 pm

I've found out how to change the colour scheme and present various options to each user so users can have the colour scheme of their choice. I can do this by copying the current style to various names of my choice and editing the colour scheme within those copies. If I make them active, users can change their preferred style in the user control panel.

Sounds good but there are two problems:

Styles are far more than just colours and layouts and if I make a modification, for example to the gallery, I would have to make that mod for each style I offer to the users.

There are a huge number of different colours and shades throughout the board and they have to be compatible with each other. I can't offer an option to change just one colour.

So what I propose is this:

We live with the default that we have for the moment until I am convinced that everything is stable and won't want modifying any further. Then I'll go onto various boards and note the colour schemes they use, including the Berkshire site that everyone knows and a couple of others that I like the look of.

At the same time, and please NOT before, I'll invite you all to send me urls of your favourite boards and I'll make a note of those schemes. I'll then select perhaps 4 different boards and create styles using the same colours as those boards. Users will then be able to use whichever one they like.

Bob.
Admin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Site Admin

Return to Members' Comments