Amplifiers...

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Amplifiers...

Postby Martyn » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:35 pm

Pat Seaman wrote:Hi Martyn,

Unless I'm mistaken ...........always possible.............the innards of the Ampworks are pretty similar to your Tonelab, so probably not worth worrying about.

Pat.

Hi Pat,
Given they both seem either made by, or under the business umbrella of Korg, I suspect you're right. I did wonder why they stopped making the Ampworks without replacing it with a newer something similar, unlike the Tonelabs that have gone through four version changes now.
Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby ernie1958 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:31 pm

:roll: This may sound a little weird to most people here but...has anyone ever tried playing on a JMI AC50 with a four-way speaker cabinet?? (two 10 inch and
two 12 inch speakers)
I've had one of these setups with the original chroom Vox stand on wheels for a long time and must say it surely packed a punch and more!!
As a matter of fact I fortunately could get a hold of an original 60's AC50 again in MINT condition.. :mrgreen: coz I missed it badly!
Not only an acceptable Shads sound but a whole lot more can come out of this monster.. :crazy:
Must be the EL34 tubes in it that gives it a somewhat "in yer face" kinda sound and the headroom is enormous compared to let's say an AC15 or AC30 imo.
Not to mention it can easily fill a sport hall without the slightest sign of distorting.

Ernie
ernie1958

Postby Amanda » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi,

The ampworks Whiz is Ecca! he uses very little else these days.

Great sounds David.

The ampworks is much the same as the dsp part of the AD series!

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby ecca » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:22 pm

I have 2 Ampworks... in case one conks.
I just love em.
I play through a variety of amps at the Hankies but I'm happiest with the Ampworks straight into the PA.
AC15 setting, single speaker Vox type. Tap the delay in, it's no good for Wonderful Gland or Peace Pope but fine for Flingoleum and Sausage.
Dial in the degree of 'bite' you want, from clean to filthy .
3 knob tone controls invariably middled up.
Set the delay levels, volume levels and away you go.
What I like is that it's knob twiddling as opposed to button pressing.
2 user presets, foot switch control if you want.
Batteries ( or 4.5 volt DC adaptor ) last ages especially if you use AA lithium types .( Cheapest from Tesco )
Love it love it love it.
Ecca
ecca

Postby Bojan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:34 pm

Martyn wrote:Hi David,
How do you rate the little Ampworks unit? I've seen folk asking for them and then a few weeks later putting one up for sale again, so not having used or heard one, I'm curious. I've also seen various reviews on a couple of sites where some rated them quite highly whereas others complained of noise or background hissing etc, which is why I've not really given them more serious attention. Didn't want to buy one without hearing it first and I've not heard Shads material recorded with one - as far as I'm aware, that is.
I'm reasonably content with my TonelabST but always on the inevitable lookout for alternatives . . . :roll:
Regards,
Martyn

Martyn, you don't seem to be reading these threads very carefully. Just recently I posted two soundfiles with Ampworks: Peace Pipe and Sleepwalk . . . They are in the "Sound Files and Videos" section. :)
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby buckshot » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:44 pm

G'day All,
Want to hear something funny about THAT sound??
Well I have a Magicstomp that I use with EFTP, a compressor pedal and go straight into my PA system where I can EQ a tweek with extra Bass and Tops and to be honest some of the sounds that I get are better than my original '67 AC30 TB and my AC30 CC. Must admit this is in my music room at home , not on stage( well not at this stage anyhow). So there is my 2 bobs worth. I am very happy with that sounds as are my neighbours and friends.
Take care
Buckshot
:D
buckshot

Postby Martyn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Bojan wrote:Martyn, you don't seem to be reading these threads very carefully. Just recently I posted two soundfiles with Ampworks: Peace Pipe and Sleepwalk . . . They are in the "Sound Files and Videos" section. :)

:oops: Don't know how I missed those! :roll:
Thanks for pointing me to them.
Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Postby Martyn » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:38 am

David Martin wrote:Suspect that Pat is right... Noise? Not had a problem myself...
Bit of a "marmite" thing I reckon...
Here's a demo I made for the Legend EP direct recording using an Ampworks... no drums, just me, a guitar and Ampworks. Was aiming for an Atlantis type sound on my Burns...

The noise thing came about from reading assorted web reviews of the device where a few reported background noises or swishing sounds after striking any note. Others didn't, so maybe the negative reviewers weren't doing it right, so to speak.
Love the sound of your Burns - very rich tone :) - which strings do you have fitted?

Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Postby David Martin » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:02 am

Martyn wrote:
David Martin wrote:Suspect that Pat is right... Noise? Not had a problem myself...
Bit of a "marmite" thing I reckon...
Here's a demo I made for the Legend EP direct recording using an Ampworks... no drums, just me, a guitar and Ampworks. Was aiming for an Atlantis type sound on my Burns...

The noise thing came about from reading assorted web reviews of the device where a few reported background noises or swishing sounds after striking any note. Others didn't, so maybe the negative reviewers weren't doing it right, so to speak.
Love the sound of your Burns - very rich tone :) - which strings do you have fitted?

Regards,
Martyn

Elixir 10-46...

:)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby chaddopete » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi all,
Saw Damien ( of Pastmasters & Foottappers fame) at the weekend doing his solo stuff. Guitar sounded great, as close as I've heard live. He was using MIJ '62 Strat, G7, & straight into Bose PA. No sign of an AC30 anywhere!!!

Cheers

Pete
chaddopete

Full Real Name: Pete Wilson

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"