Which "sound" is "that" then?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Which "sound" is "that" then?

Postby David Martin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:53 am

The best I've heard over a computer... spot on!
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Martyn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:31 am

Hi David,
That's encouraging to hear.
For this quick recording I intentionally had the lead mixed slightly louder than normal just so the tones would be clearer, in light of this discussion, whereas usually I'd blend it a little more with the BT. I think there's too much attack but the Tonelab has a valve in it (not sure how functional it really is but it must be there for a reason) and as it warms up over a period of time (it had been switched on for a couple of hours) the compression attack clicking seemed to become more prominent. Mixing down to a .wav, thence to a much smaller .mp3 file also adds further emphasis to any clicks and if doing it again I'd try to reduce some of that attack with the Tonelab's compression controls first. They're even quite audible as I changed finger positions, however I'm quite pleased with the warm woody tones.

My speakers are of reasonable quality and wearing Sennheiser headphones adds further warmth and slightly more bass to the overall sound, whereas heard on a laptop it might sound awfully thin. Similarly my domestic hi-fi and in-car sound systems each add their own colourations to the sounds, adding almost cinema depth bass resonances, which is why some of this debate can be confused or clouded by who's hearing it and on which type of audio system. Despite these variables, the guitar's overall tones should still be reasonably accurate, I would have thought.

I've debated switching to CS54 pickups but I'm unsure if this is wise when I think I'm getting the sounds I want leaving things as they are. It would either produce better results or be an expensive exercise if the change proved futile when I recorded it afterwards :( .

Thanks for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby dave robinson » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:43 am

That sound of GeGe's is very close, I think DM was perhaps referring to that one too, yours Martyn was OK but not as close by quite a way and not really the best tune to demonstrate it IMHO . . . . . :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Martyn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:58 am

Hi Dave,
Oops - my mistake - now I'm really embarrassed :oops:

Theme for Young Lovers was the track I played through Justin's equipment that day, hence my choice.
Which tune would you suggest for comparison testing at home that would be more suitable in terms of tonality etc. - as a litmus test, so to speak?

Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Postby dave robinson » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:04 pm

The reason that it's an incorrect choice is because TFYL was recorded on a Vox AC30 Top Boost amp and doesn't sound like an AC30/4 in any way. Try something like 'Find Me A Golden Street' or 'Kon Tiki' which was in the area you are trying to recreate. :thumbup:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Martyn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks Dave, I'll heed your advice and report back if and when I'm successful.
Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Postby petercreasey » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:55 pm

It Looks like ( from other Utube clips) that Gege is using an AC30, Line 6 Pod XT and a Quad (looks like 2 in the rack) There is something else in his rack which I can't identify.

Interesting?
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby Didier » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:47 am

petercreasey wrote:It Looks like ( from other Utube clips) that Gege is using an AC30, Line 6 Pod XT and a Quad (looks like 2 in the rack) There is something else in his rack which I can't identify.
Interesting?

Gégé doesn't use anymore his AC30 for recording, it's direct from the Pod XT to the recorder. He has indeed two Q20, one for echoes, the other one for various tone processing. He has found out that there is not enough processing power in a single Q20 to achieve all of what he wanted to get.
As he uses to say, the most important is not the gear you use, it's to find the right settings.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Gary Allen » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:40 pm

http://www.4shared.com/file/109188693/24d8d74a/Peace_Pipe-Gary_Allen.html I Tried this a few months back with a 56cs strat-12-52 strings-q2-90s ac15................
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby Bojan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Isn't it amazing that Gégé manages to get one of the best Hank sounds without a Vox or a Meazzi in sight !!! . . . Now that is something!!! Bravo Gégé !!! :clap: A couple of years ago I dubbed Gégé as the "French Onk" (I think most of you know what I mean :D) . . . and that is what he is. I hope he joins this forum.

Gary, that's a great sound!! I would say spot on!! :thumbup:
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"