Fender Professional Stratocaster 11 (2)

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fender Professional Stratocaster 11 (2)

Postby alanbakewell » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:52 pm

Has anybody purchased one of the latest Stratocasters yet? Namely the Professional 11 ( That represents 2. The professional 11 ( eleven, won't be out for few years yet. However, it might be in our lifetime. )

I have a professional Stratocaster and have long been pleased with it's many qualities. And, in my opinion, improvements over the old Standard Stratocaster.

The people demonstrating the new Professional 11 (2) on You Tube seem very impressed. However, I'd be more impressed with your opinions on it.

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Re: Fender Professional Stratocaster 11 (2)

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:30 am

I try all the new Fenders' as a matter of interest in our local music shop (Richtone) and the Professional is a good guitar. That said, it's very similar in feel to my own Fender USA DeLuxe with the same excellent qualities in finish and attention to detail. In truth it's what an expensive guitar should be so I wouldn't criticise it in any way, but saying that, the Fender Californian Series Strat that I recently acquired is just as good at half the price, as are the MIJ Strats of a few years ago that were even cheaper. Even better value are the Squier Classic Vibe Strats, one on which I have and it compares favourably against my £2000 USA Deluxe, at a cost of £329.
I can't help believing that we the customers are being 'played' here and you need to be shrewd not to go for all the hype to part with hard earned cash.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby alanbakewell » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:22 am

Thanks Dave, this is the info I want. I'd like to try one and, indeed probably will soon.
In the meantime I'll keep looking at what's on offer.

As you yourself have said on numerous occasions. The amplifier, the effects unit, the guitar
are all important constituents. But none as important as them fingers.

Dare I say, as we look forward to getting back to normal. Keep on enjoying the music
we all love.

Cheers, Alan.
alanbakewell

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:04 pm

Hi Alan,

As you know, I have an Am Pro 1 Strat and since I got it , it has been my No 1 goto strat. I like the Vintage Mod pickups and overall they were voiced to give a Fat 50's type sound with a modern take. They employ a mix of Alnico 3 and 5 in middle and 3 anc 2 in neck and bridge is Alnico 5. It would seem from listening to comparison between the Am Pro 1 and 2 , the pickups are broadly similar sounding , but the 2 do seem to have a bit more sheen sparkle or articulation as they say, albeit slightly. Some of this could be down to the cold rolled steel trem block fitted on the newer version.

In fact the general improvements, like rolled neck edges , neck / body relief contour, steel trem block and extra switching options , tend to make this a slight upgrade to what in my opinion is an already excellent guitar.

Personally , I would probably avoid the pine body see through finishes . I would stick with alder myself.

Overall they seem a very good strat and I would certainly be interested , but having the Am Pro 1 strat, I do not feel a need to.

Here's one video that sets out the changes and gives a sound comparison.

https://youtu.be/G9hx61RqN8Q
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby SJB » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:37 pm

In listening to the video - (not the distortion parts) - In some parts the earlier strat seems to have more harmonics.

However I feel there is really nothing to choose between them that can't be tweaked out with effects and amp settings.
Maybe the additional switch settings may prove useful.

For me if a recording was done with both one after the other - then leave listening for a week - play back each recording - one would possibly be pushed to identify which was which.

The other sad point here is that it depends on your hearing. As we get older - industrial noise damage (me) - 50 years of playing at deafening levels (not me) - we may hear things differently.
However if someone would like to gift me one ---Great!!!. :D Nice guitars though. ;)
Dave's comment on the "Squier Classic Vibe Strats" is interesting. Has there been any comparison recordings been done?
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby George Geddes » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:42 am

I have had a Squier Simon Neil Strat for several years now - Fiesta Red with rosewood 'board - and it's a really good guitar. I deliberately don't add "for the money" because no qualification is necessary.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby MeBHank » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:35 am

One day I hope to purchase a Pro II Strat. Purely for the Dark Night paint job. It's one of sexiest finishes I've ever seen on a guitar.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby alanbakewell » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:35 am

That's the first one that caught my eye Justin. The irony is, ( at the moment ) the maple fingerboard / neck
is only available on the right handed version. The maple neck being my favourite.

I'll have to go and at least get a feel of the guitar some time soon.

Cheers, Alan.
alanbakewell

Return to Gear