Zoom G5n

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Zoom G5n

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:03 pm

Because I've been making patches for all the Zoom range of pedals I was curious about the Zoom G5n, the flagship,of the fleet.
I picked one up at a very good price last week and it arrived today so I took it down to the studio to give it a blast after I stuck eight patches in to suit what I wanted to play.
I routed it through the Pinnacle and then the Vox AC30/4 and I can honestly say it's terrific and one that I will be using in the future.
It's larger in every way than the G3 and has more to offer, but I think it sounds better as well. I may of course be mistaken but it took me ten minutes to install eight patches and I played some Shadows, Duane Eddy, Gary Moore as well as some chords for songs we do in our show and I loved it. I can categorically say that it's better than my Vox ToneLab SE because of the ease of programming the echoes. You can have up to nine separate pedals linked so most things are possible. Recommended and not silly money.
I will share my patches for this as I do the others. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Zoom G5n

Postby Egelund » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:02 pm

Hi Dave

I totally agree.
I have two boards with a number of effects, both have the Zoom G 3 for my ehoes.
But I also have the G5 with echoes.
It is really quite a unit, sounds great, and for live I use the boost, whenever kicking in a solo, or playing instrumental tunes.
Not to mention that it has a very good volume pedal, and a real tube to drive the sound.

Have you made your own programme for your G 5.
I have custom made echoes, but have created a number of other effects, overdrive, compressed country sound, chorus and a few more.

Regards
Niels
Egelund

Full Real Name: Niels Egelund faddersbøll

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:24 am

Even though I love my TVS3 and will love the Meazzi equally when it escapes from Amanda, I like to challenge myself with the other gear and the Zoom G5n is the latest pedal that I need to conquer for my needs. I really enjoy these challenges and if I can help 0anybody along the way it pleases me. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby emielvisser » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:11 am

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference of the tape echo between the G5 and the MS 50 for example?
Also looking forward for the patches.

Regards,
Emiel
emielvisser

Full Real Name: Emiel Visser

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:40 pm

I think the tape echo is the same on all,of the range of pedals, you get the same parameters to adjust and they all seem to work the same way.
I wll look at it in more detail after the weekend as I'm in theatre mode at the moment. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:49 pm

I found out today by playing with my Zoom G5n that the patches that I wrote for the G3Xn /G3n will transfer to the G5n so no need to write any more.
That said i suggest that anybody wanting the G5n patches do what I'm doing and load the patches from the G3xn files. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:09 am

Egelund wrote:Hi Dave

I totally agree.
I have two boards with a number of effects, both have the Zoom G 3 for my ehoes.
It is really quite a unit, sounds great, and for live I use the boost, whenever kicking in a solo, or playing instrumental tunes.
Not to mention that it has a very good volume pedal, and a real tube to drive the sound.

I have custom made echoes, but have created a number of other effects, overdrive, compressed country sound, chorus and a few more.

Regards
Niels

I have settled on the G5n as my main pedal of this type and it will replace my Vox Tonelab SE.
The patches that I made for the G3Xn & G3n are transferable to the G5n so I will not be offering any specifically for the G5n.

Apart from our show and the obvious Shadows echoes, I have made an extensive batch of patches for the G5n which I have stored on my pedal which include all Binson EC2, Baby Binson, Meazzi Echomatic 1 & 2, Vox Long Tom, Klemt Echolette and Roland RE 301-501, all the different combinations from each, but I will probably never need to use them. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby TimRyland » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:47 pm

Dave,

As the G3/G5’s are basically the same pedal, I wondered what your thoughts were on the amp sims in them. I’m obviously thinking about the UK 30A and, to some extent, the Match30. Do you think you can get a reasonable Shadows old and modern tone out of them?

Tim.
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:18 pm

Hi Tim, you are lf course correct k your assumption that the G3Xn & G5n are the basically same pedal, the G5n has an extra external tone & volume and larger footprint but it has the same stomp boxes and amp sims. I think the amp sims are great, though I don't need them but I have checked them out and they are pretty accurate compared to the real amps I have owned to compare them with. With a bit of careful manipulating you could get the old and modern Shads sounds no problem.
I can't emphasise just how much better these new Zooms are than the old Alesis things ever were - we really have moved on. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:20 pm

Egelund wrote:Hi Dave

I totally agree.

Regards
Niels

I'm not sure that the G5n has a real tube on board, but it just sounds as though it does. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Next

Return to Gear