"The Shadows: live at the BBC": CD Replacement programme

Only for the Shadows, their music, their members and Shadows-related activity

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: "The Shadows: live at the BBC": CD Replacement programme

Postby fenderplucker » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:39 am

Received in Australia today, thanks Iain and Warner Music.

Paul.
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Well it arrived a couple of days ago and I was just wondering if I was the only one thinking why all the fuss ?
If this kind of thing is deemed important, We really need to get out more. :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby drakula63 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm

Just received this email...

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your email and proof of purchase.
A replacement copy has been sent to the address provided.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for supporting this release.

Kind regards
Warner Music

(I sent my email etc to them on 27th June.)
:thumbup:
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby drakula63 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:23 pm

TWO copies just arrived! Different catalogue number to the previous issue. Can't wait to play them!

Thanks to all who have helped in this little adventure. Volume 2 soon please!!!!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby gonzales » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:19 pm

I also received a second copy today!
gonzales

Full Real Name: Russ Brooker

Postby Kevin Wooten » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi Iain,

I received my replacement copy a couple of days ago.

Many thanks for all your effort. Thanks also, to Warner Music.

Regards,

Kevin.
Kevin Wooten

Full Real Name: Kevin Wooten

Postby Keith Bateman » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Is anyone else still waiting for their replacement as am I?
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Postby Arpeggio » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:56 pm

I think that this has been important for fans / collectors. It was ShadowMusic members who swiftly spotted the two erroneous tracks. It was ShadowMusic members who helped to sort out the error (which had a complex history). It was thanks to ShadowMusic members that missing material was furnished to the BBC. All credit to Warners for correcting the error and replacing CDs (as well as issuing a corrected version). A lot of time and effort was spent on this by a handful of people for the benefit of everyone....which is great!!!

The main annoyance for me is the annotation - which contains errors. Once I received the original CD and was asked by Tim Chacksfield to help sort out the problem (along with Jim Nugent & Mo Foster), I notified Tim of the errors. He did pass them on, but to be honest he had no direct control over the project. Someone at Warners took the decision (money I guess) not to reprint the sleeves.

SHINDIG was NOT broadcast on Saturday Club (30 / 05 / 1966). It was broadcast on Let The Good Times Roll (the date is correct)
I MET A GIRL - ditto. In fact, May 30th was actually a MONDAY. This is a present day bungle pure and simple. I MET A GIRL was broadcast on Saturday Club (it is the same recording) but it was 04 / 06 / 1966

LADY PENELOPE was NOT broadcast on Saturday Club on 09 / 12 / 1966 - it was RECORDED on that date (which was actually a Friday). It WAS broadcast on Saturday Club, but the date was 24 / 12 / 1966

SCOTCH ON THE SOCKS....ditto (again.. .this is poor attention to detail by the compiler)

JIGSAW / TENNESSEE WALTZ / BOMBAY DUCK. This is the same type of error. They were all broadcast on Saturday Club, but NOT on 14 / 07 / 1967. This was the session recording date, which was a Friday. The actual broadcast date was 22 / 07 / 1967

LARA'S THEME / SNAP CRACKLE AND HOW'S YOUR DAD / THE WILD ROSES. The broadcast date is again incorrect. All of the tracks were recorded on 30 / 11 / 1967 - which was a Thursday. The actual broadcast date was 16 / 12 / 1967

DEAR OLD MRS BELL / EVENING GLOW / NAUGHTY NIPPON NIGHTS. A double whammy here. The broadcast date is given as 08 / 02 / 1968 (which was a Thursday). Worse still. These three tracks were never broadcast on Saturday Club at all. They were used on the DAVE SYMONDS SHOW, as follows: Evening Glow (19 / 02 / 1968), Naughty Nippon Nights (20 / 02 / 1968), Dear Old Mrs Bell (23 / 02 / 1968).

Well...to my mind, it is - quite frankly, a pretty appalling litany of errors - .and none of it has been changed.

So...at least now everyone on Shadowmusic has all the correct information. Was I paying attention? Yes I was. Am I disappointed that these glaring annotation errors haven't been changed? Yes I am....but there we are.
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Postby Arpeggio » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Update.

Thanks to my good friend Ulrich Sasu, I must make a correction of ny own - in order to bring everything fully up to date. Ulrich found a reference to Saturday Club 23 / 03 / 1968 which included The Shadows. This checks out with the BBC Genome Site. The progrmme was hosted by good old 'Cardboard Shoes'., Keith Skues.

There was definitely no contract in the Shadows File at the BBC Written Archive. However, the Shads (& most other artists by then) were under a scheme called 'Discontinuous Pre - Recording'. In brief, tracks could be inserted into other BBC programmes for several months after they were taped.

So, I am in error re: Dear Old Mrs Bell / Evening Glow / Naughty Nippon Nights (all recorded on Feb 8th, 1968). They were used for the Dave Symonds Show as stated. However - they were all clearly re - used for Saturday Club - but on March 23rd, 1968. Foot Tapper was also broadcast again.

Unfortunately, the 1968 version of Foot Tapper (also recorded on Feb 8th, 1968) has somehow been wiped / deleted / erased from that BBC session master tape (Ref PP547Q).

So...there we are....and now the info is all as accurate as can be.

Best wishes to all.....Rob
Arpeggio

Full Real Name: Rob Bradford

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Thanks Rob. Proof that ShadowMusic is the place to check!

By the way I have contacted Warner today about outstanding replacement requests and they assure me they’re on the case.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

PreviousNext

Return to The Shadows