Electrical interference with amps

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Electrical interference with amps

Postby Tony Szpala » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:34 pm

I've recently noted some quite severe crackling from two of the amps (a Marshall valve amp and a Session blues baby transistor amp)I have in my music room (upstairs, front of building). Had it been one of the amps only then probably diagnosed an amp fault. I tried the same amps in my dining room at the back of the building and they are perfectly clear. Initial thoughts were the hive smart system (for controlling my heating, hot water and lighting at home) or Virgin broadband which were both recently installed but isolating both did not improve the situation and severe crackling still prevails in both upstairs music room and downstairs lounge - which are both at the front of the house.
Has anyone any thoughts on the potential cause(s) of this anomaly?

Tony
Tony Szpala

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire email address: tony.szpala@hotmail.com
Full Real Name: Tony Szpala

Re: Electrical interference with amps

Postby Stu's Dad » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi Tony,

I had this problem, not with amps, but with guitars. My music room is at the front and directly above the garage, where the mains supply is. I asked an electrician to fit some new sockets directly from the supply unit, and when he went to the garage he saw that we had a smart meter fitted. He said straight away that they give off a radio signal which may cause the problem. The new sockets made no difference but the two guitars in question didn't have any screening on the back of the pickguard, and one had none at all. Once I sorted this out the crackling went away.

I appreciate that this is about guitars, not amps, but I'm telling you because, like you, I only had it in rooms at the front of the house - where the meter is.

Good luck,

Len
Stu's Dad

Full Real Name: Leonard Evans

Postby RogerCook » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:39 pm

Radio frequency or mains borne interference I'd suggest. Back in the 60s in the middle of a gig the Home Service could be heard coming from my Watkins amp!. I just played louder and nobody noticed! RF may need a capacitor adding to the amp input. Mains interference might be removed by some type of filter/surge and spike suppressor in the mains feed.

I'll dig around for the details of the mains filter I built.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby neil2726 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:43 pm

Used to get Police messages coming through amps when playing Congleton Town Hall many years ago. The Police station was next door! :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Keith Bateman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:58 pm

My Selmer used to be plagued with taxi conversation from the rank immediately outside the venue in Aylesbury.
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Postby SJB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:44 pm

Both rooms may be on the same ring main.
It may be any one of the room sockets with loose connections.

Or some device plugged into that ring.

Good luck
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby chaddman » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi Tony,
Years ago I used to repair TVs VCRs and other Electronic devices. We had a lot of interference problems due to low energy Light Bulbs. They made Equipment Crackle and stopped some Remote Controls from Working due to frequency incompatibility problems. I have also seen Hand Held Scanners with Bluetooth Printers pick up Taxi Firms and Fast Food Outlets. I hope this helps and you get to the bottom of it. :)
Cheers Phil.
chaddman

Full Real Name: Phil Holmes

Postby Tony Szpala » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:59 am

Gents

Many thanks for your time in responding - much appreciated. I suspect the solution lies in one of your responses and will post as soon as I find a solution.

Tony
Tony Szpala

Postby Tony Szpala » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:50 pm

Pleased to say that the problem has totally disappeared! However if it reappears I will go through the various suggestions made as potential remedies. Methinks now that this could be outside of the house interference.

Tony
Tony Szpala

Return to Gear