BOSS Katana amps-the next best thing?

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: BOSS Katana amps-the next best thing?

Postby dave robinson » Sun May 19, 2019 11:49 pm

I like this Katana head so much that I’m buying a spare and programming it.
The only thing I need to get sorted are a couple of 16 ohm 12” neodymium speakers to drop to 8 ohms. My ones in my 2 x 12 cabinet are 8 ohms and it makes the cabinet 4 ohms or 16 ohms - I need an 8 ohm cabinet to get the 100 watts from the amp, though my 1 x 12 Boogie cab works fine.
Has anyone got any 12” neodymium 16 ohm speakers for sale ?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Hank2k » Mon May 20, 2019 9:19 am

dave robinson wrote:Well I set up the newly programmed Katana 100 head through my 1 x 12 Mesa Boogie cabinet at our gig last night and the results were very satisfactory indeed. Using the Boss GAFC pedal I was able to get all the tones needed to do the gig, with the addition of just an Ernie Ball volume pedal, replacing the Line 6 Helix.
It’s early days yet, but since exploring the possibilities of the Boss Tone Studio, it has opened up some excellent possibilities and reduced my set up time by a half. I now need to explore the DI possibilities, as we are heading that way to make gigs easier for us as we become less able to carry heavy kit around. We already did a couple of gigs with guitars & bass DI’d but we now have the electric Roland V-Drums to factor in.
I guess many will scoff at the idea of doing things this way, but it is working and sounding damn good, though not aesthetically pleasing, but it opens up great possibilities for getting a great mix in tiny venues, which can be problematic with Vox amps and live drum kits. :idea:

DI does make life so much easier! We still use Vox cabs in my band mainly for aesthetics but its so much more controllable through the PA and the sound is mixed together nicely rather than hearing different bits depending where you sit in the audience!
Hank2k

Postby dave robinson » Mon May 20, 2019 7:38 pm

I picked up a Fender Rumble 2 x 10 cabinet today and put the Katana 100 head in front of it and I'm not disappointed. The two ten inch speakers give me a terrific early 1960 Hank tone and everything else too. The Gary Moore patch for Parisienne Walkways sounds awesome, especially the long note in the middle of the tune. My acoustic guitar also sounds great through it, as there's a small horn in there. I tried my Les Paul and 345 and they too sound great, so it looks like a result from a very unlikely scenario. Let's see what the thing sounds like at our Thursday night bash. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Wed May 22, 2019 10:51 am

Just re programmed my Katana 100 combo just using graphic eq and hi band compressor built in . Got much closer to the right sounds now and have 4 patches. Compressor is variable.

My graphic eq setting were below 250hz set at -15 , 250hz -8 , up to 4khz flat , 4khz -8 , above that - 15. One patch on top boost uses 2khz at +9 .increase the EQ gain to about 12 to make up for volume losses due to cutting.

The compressor is on around 22 on dial but adjustable.

I reduced mid on amp to around 30 for most using crunch mode with no gain for top boost sounds but a little gain for AC15 sound. Set channel volume at 100.

Set treble 12 o clock and bass 35 % for early top boost sounds and treble 70% and full bass for later top boost sound.Presence is on max brightness or 0.

For very early AC15 tunes I cut low frequencies to -18 and -11 on 250hz with bit more gain on the amp.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby RogerCook » Wed May 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Thanks Roger. Do you have the settings as .tsl files?

Cheers

Roger
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby roger bayliss » Wed May 22, 2019 10:46 pm

Yes I have tsl. Files but suggest you try these setting without overwriting your own see what you think
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby pauldb38 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:13 am

Love the katana but one thing I'm not sure about, how do you guys set up your sounds for using multiple guitars?I have a few different Brands of Guitars but some just don't sound tonally right when playing strings unless I go in a configure the sound. Do you save your guitar type to different banks etc? I'm more thinking in a live situation where you have multiple guitars on stage etc?
pauldb38

Full Real Name: Paul Bulmer

Postby neil2726 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:46 am

I have several guitars but when I gigged I only took two. One to play and the other as a spare in case I broke a string! :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Hank2k » Fri May 24, 2019 12:07 pm

I only ever gig with strats so its nice and simple they all sound the same. I did try a Chapman ML1 for a couple of songs when i used an AC30 and found i had to change everything so for gigging its not worth the hassle for me any more.
Hank2k

Postby Hank2k » Fri May 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Any one interested Guitar Guitar have a 50w model here for just £129

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/ ... -pre-owned
Hank2k

PreviousNext

Return to Gear