Boss katana

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Boss katana

Postby pauldb38 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Hi folks just got a Boss Katana head, however, I have run into a problem. I have the Allesis Q20 Connected and it sounds very Bassy/muddy and not sure how to fix this, also on my previous amp I never had the fx send and receive am I better off using then? Not sure what the difference is?

Thanks for reading

Paul
pauldb38

Full Real Name: Paul Bulmer

Re: Boss katana

Postby RogerCook » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Though I have a Katana (2x12 100w) I haven't tried it with a Quadraverb. However those who have say you should roll off the bass in the global eq settings at around 80Hz. You'll need the Boss Tone Studio and probably the latest FX Floorboard software.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby pauldb38 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Ooo thanks for that I will give it a try tomorrow Roger thanks for coming back to me

Paul
pauldb38

Postby artyman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:23 am

pauldb38 wrote:Hi folks just got a Boss Katana head, however, I have run into a problem. I have the Allesis Q20 Connected and it sounds very Bassy/muddy and not sure how to fix this, also on my previous amp I never had the fx send and receive am I better off using then? Not sure what the difference is?

Thanks for reading

Paul

Using the Q20 into the jack puts the signal through the Amplifiers pre amp, using the Send and Return pipes the signal to the Power stage
artyman

Full Real Name: Ken Gillam

Postby fenderplucker » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:41 am

Hi Paul.

The Q2 and Q20 have capacitors on the input that will roll off the treble if the guitar is fed directly into them (they were not designed to operate with high impedance guitar inputs). However, if your Q20 was modified by EFTP (or someone else) then they will have been removed or changed solving the problem. Otherwise, it is better to use the Q2/20 in an effects loop which will be relatively low impedance and so the problem will not arise.

Paul
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby pauldb38 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi Everyone thanks for the reply's and advice. Here's my set up and what i have done so far and got to say its not a bad sound but i need a little more knoledge on the amp and its controls etc.

Guitar Burns Marvin - Gemini Tone going into the guitar jack ( Not a lot of difference in thru and Stage 1 setting but it is better with it in)
Allesis Q20 - Going into the send and receive of the KAtana Head.

Now I noticed a difference in sound using the send and receive with the quad and wondering if the Gemini 3 pedal would benefit been in this chain as opposed to guitar end? Or would this do damage to the amp or pedal?

Generally, I'm really happy with the sound but I think with a bit of tweaking it could be better? I'm only using the internal speaker as I don't have a cab but its setup in my bedrooms so don't need it to be really loud.

I have downloaded and using the Katana Floorboard for my settings so this in itself i a learning curve. Thanks everyone for your Help let me know if you find a tweak that gets you closer to the sound x

Paul
pauldb38

Postby fulham » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:53 am

HI FRIEND I HAVE JUST BOUGHT THE KATANA 100 AND I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH IT ITS QUITE A HORRID SOUND COMING FROM IT I AM FIDDLING OBOUT WITH IT IF I HAVE ANY LUCK WITH IF I WILL LET YOU NO BUT NOT VERY CONFIDENT. CHEERS FULHAM
fulham

Full Real Name: Charles Bacchus

Postby pauldb38 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:03 pm

fulham wrote:HI FRIEND I HAVE JUST BOUGHT THE KATANA 100 AND I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH IT ITS QUITE A HORRID SOUND COMING FROM IT I AM FIDDLING OBOUT WITH IT IF I HAVE ANY LUCK WITH IF I WILL LET YOU NO BUT NOT VERY CONFIDENT. CHEERS FULHAM

Just follow the steps above and tweak, i have got a goodish sound the q20 effects on the send and receive, i must confess though i use the Gemini 3 pedal though the amp so i'm kinda cheating but not had a chance to try and replicate the Gemini tone in tone studio yet but i'm sure its possible.

Paul
pauldb38

Return to Gear