Just acquired the latest valve pre-amp EccaMatic eTapHW

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Just acquired the latest valve pre-amp EccaMatic eTapHW

Postby David Martin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:19 am

I'm stunned... the original unit of mine (now for sale here http://shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9855&p=70216#p70216) is brilliant... better than MagicStomp, better than my original Meazzi (at only £1800), better than Q2 eftp, easier than an ESE and sound quality on a par, and equally as good as the Catlinbread I borrowed from Robbo... As good as Atlantis and easier to use... (I've owned or used all of these) 8-)

But the latest valve pre-amp version is even better. How? Words are not very useful in trying to describe this. The sound is richer, more sonorous... just... it's just ... right.

I'm not going to post sound files 'cos I can't see the point. What you hear will depend on how well I can record it, the eq I use, and any extras I add in (like reverb and compression) and what you play it through... even how good your ears are... :o

So I'm just telling you based on my experience - you'll either value that... or you won't! :D

There you have it... if you want a better echo unit, buy my original unit. If you want a vintage echo unit, buy my Binson (it is... what is is... a fully working old echo unit) but if you want the best I've ever used contact Ecca, and a week later you will be a very happy person. :D

p.s. No genitals were twisted before or during the writing of this wholehearted recommendation... :shock:
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Re: Just acquired the latest valve pre-amp EccaMatic eTapHW

Postby Twang46 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:31 pm

Just thought I'd add my thoughts to this.

I tried one of Ecca's valve eccotappers a while back & great sound that it was I felt that (for my purposes) there wasn't a large enough difference between the "basic" etaphw & the pre/post valve system
I'm just a home player nowadays & the original etaphw I already had works just fine for me

As David has pointed out the valves do add that extra "something" to the sound & for the asking price the "pro" guitarist or keen amateur cannot get an echo system even close to this at twice the price,
Ecca has certainly come up trumps with his valve Eccamatic version :)

It's going to be very interesting to see where this system goes now with the "automation" parts now more or less sorted (for those who just want to press a button to change echo's)

http://www.echotapper.nl/wp/?p=1545

Well done to Piet & all the other folks involved bringing this system to fruition 8-)

Dick.
Last edited by Twang46 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby David Martin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:54 pm

Looked at the page from that link, Dick... but I don't understand the numbers in the Heads column. Can you help?

p.s. I think Ecca has switched valve brands recently, with a marked improvement in "tone"...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby AlanMcKillop » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:56 pm

I agree Dick, when I compared the two models at home (bedroom volume), I couldn't really hear any difference, however, when you play at volume there is a difference and having both input and output controls, you can also add a bit of dirt (if required). Overall, a great sounding wee unit (now with big knobs that I can see). ;)
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Twang46 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:40 pm

David Martin wrote:Looked at the page from that link, Dick... but I don't understand the numbers in the Heads column. Can you help?

p.s. I think Ecca has switched valve brands recently, with a marked improvement in "tone"...

Hi David

The "numbers" refer to the settings on the "auto" unit that you do not have in your unit.

A look here should help you understand what's going on in the next "stage" etaphw that will have a display & preset buttons

http://www.echotapper.nl/wp/?p=1545

I'll change the original link to try & avoid confusion :?

The valves Ecca uses now were suggested by me after I tried out some GE valves in the unit I had. Better than the original Chinese ones supplied with the pre amp modules, the differences are quite small but noticeable.

Dick.
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby David Martin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Splendid... thanks Dick... :D
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Return to Other stuff...