Can a complete novice build this?

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Can a complete novice build this?

Postby Stratstroker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi all,

I haven't been around on the site for a long time having moved house for my retirement and been busier than I was when I went to work, and I haven't done much guitar playing either, but since I checked in the other day I have been trying to get to the bottom of this eTap2HW business. The demos sound superb. I'm used to Dave Robbo's demos being excellent with virtually any gear he picks up but when other people's also sound authentic then I really sit up and take notice! Also, of course, Bojan always got a good sound from his VST plugin. Have you gone the hardware route Bojan?

I've got CS54 pups in American Strat (which is the correct colour as near as dammit!), Vox AC15 Heritage, Magicstomp with EFTP, Zoom RFX2000 with EFTP, but I do not get an authentic vintage Shads sound so it seems that this latest echo unit may be a big step forward.

So my question is "is it possible for a complete ham'fisted novice to build this following the supplied instructions?" There is a Maplin's not too far away and I am willing to give it a go if I have at least a reasonable chance of success. Or am I living in cloud cuckoo land?

If so I might have to fork out £186 to try the Catalinbread Echorec, wait for Charlie Hall's new unit or stick with the Magicstomp!

I would be most grateful for any advice even if it's "don't be bloody daft!"

Al.
Stratstroker

Re: Can a complete novice build this?

Postby dave robinson » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Alan, if you have never done anything like this before I would wholeheartedly recommend asking Ecca to build it for you.
I know a little about soldering and repairs of cables and general maintenance but this is way above all of that and having seen the skill involved it's best left to an expert IMHO. The cost is worth not having the stress - trust me! 8-)

Regarding the Catalinbread Echorec, it is excellent but for the Shads purist I would say that Etap has the edge and it works out less expensive if you choose to ask Ecca. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby kipper » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:31 pm

alan i built mine and i am usless at any thing electronic, i did get into trouble and piet got me to send him the board that he then fixed for me. it was bad soldiering on my part. i also had advice and encouragement from barry in austrailia. it is well worth having a go yourself but you need to get a good soldering iron with a fine tip. and some really good solder which i thought was all the same, but it not. in the end i was advised lead free thin gauge. which worked really well. read all the instructions properly, you also need to take your time and plan it properly and not charge at it like i did. just relaxe take your time and enjoy doing it. there are loads of really great people here that will help you all the way. but if you dont want any hassle do as dave suggests. but i was as please as punch when mine started to work. good luck its a great unit. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby Stratstroker » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:55 am

Thanks for the advice Dave and Pete.

Ecca has been in touch and the job is sorted! :thumbup:

Cheers

Al
Stratstroker

Return to Other stuff...