Did we miss anything?

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Did we miss anything?

Postby David Martin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:44 am

I've created this area to add anything which doesn't fall into the categories above... if you need another section, let me know. Over the next few days, I'll split up the long post currently in the Q&A section and put various parts in the different areas for ease of access...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Re: Did we miss anything?

Postby Amanda » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:30 pm

Looks o.k. to me David,

Great work!!
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby RayL » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:08 am

Miss anything?

Well, if I put myself in the position of someone coming across this eTap2HW forum for the first time, it would be really useful to have a description of what it is and what it does!

The name itself looks more like a 'random letters and numbers' password than an echo unit so that could do with an explanation. This could be followed by a description of what it does (and what it doesn't). Questions that spring to mind are:
1. How many 'replay heads' are there?
2. Can each 'replay head' be individually set for delay time, level, regeneration and on/off?
3. Can combinations of 'replay heads' (each with their individual settings) be stored, and then recalled by tapping a foot-switch? This is for 'live on stage' situations where there is no time to fiddle around resetting controls.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Twang46 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:24 am

Hi Ray

Look below for a description of what & how. Then browse the rest of the site, all you need to know is there :D

http://www.echotapper.nl/images/doc/eTap2hw.pdf

Dick.
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby Echotapper » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:20 am

Hi Ray,

eTap2hw is a name that came from eTap2 VST being a software solution I've created providing similar functionality when using a DAW like Cubase. The wording eTap stems from http://www.echotapper.nl being my site and my passion . I'm sure the name echotapper can be further dissected into echo and foot tapper. The hw on eTap2hw is related to this being a hardware unit.

It good that Dick did point you to the required documentation but I need to also stress the fact that its not advisable to jump on the bandwagon of building the eTap2hw without experience in soldering normal electronics and/or not reading through the documentation I've created to compliment the building process of a unit that's optimized for the DIY'r with limited electronic knowledge in mind. Enjoy building your own echo gear!

Kind regards,

Piet
Echotapper

Postby ecca » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Ray, the best thing about the etap2hw unit is that it emulates the Meazzi machines very well indeed, I've had a Q20 and various other echoes and it's the best sounding echo yet.
It's not at the moment a presettable unit with memories but very soon will be and will knock all the other units into touch.
All settings have to be set by you.
It's the quality of sound that's it's main point.
ecca

Postby RayL » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks Dick, Piet and Ecca.

Having now read the pdf It becomes clearer that this unit is very specific in what it sets out to achieve (though one has to get to page 6 for the first description).

I am in no way critcising the unit itself, which I am sure does an excellent job. My point was really about this eTap2HW forum on the Shadowmusic site which could perhaps help newcomers by having a 'sticky' that explained that an eTap2HW is a build-it-yourself electronic echo unit designed specifically to emulate certain old mechanical echo units. Those people who have worked with Piet during development might see this as obvious, but it wouldn't be obvious to a newcomer (and everyone has to start somewhere).

It reinforces my feeling that there is still a gap in the market to be filled for an echo unit that is not specific in the way that this unit is specific. In other words, one with (say) six replay heads each of which can be individually set (using calibrated controls) for delay, level, feedback and on/off. One which has separate wet and dry outputs. One with balanced inputs and outputs on XLR and jack. One in which head settings can be stored and recalled using footswitch or remote control. A general purpose comprehensive echo unit.

Ray
RayL

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:47 pm

RayL wrote:Thanks Dick, Piet and Ecca.

Having now read the pdf It becomes clearer that this unit is very specific in what it sets out to achieve (though one has to get to page 6 for the first description).

I am in no way critcising the unit itself, which I am sure does an excellent job. My point was really about this eTap2HW forum on the Shadowmusic site which could perhaps help newcomers by having a 'sticky' that explained that an eTap2HW is a build-it-yourself electronic echo unit designed specifically to emulate certain old mechanical echo units. Those people who have worked with Piet during development might see this as obvious, but it wouldn't be obvious to a newcomer (and everyone has to start somewhere).

It reinforces my feeling that there is still a gap in the market to be filled for an echo unit that is not specific in the way that this unit is specific. In other words, one with (say) six replay heads each of which can be individually set (using calibrated controls) for delay, level, feedback and on/off. One which has separate wet and dry outputs. One with balanced inputs and outputs on XLR and jack. One in which head settings can be stored and recalled using footswitch or remote control. A general purpose comprehensive echo unit.

Ray

Apart from the XLR sockets the Magicstomp features most of what you are asking for - but can you operate it ? :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RayL » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:02 am

Dave and Ecca

Thanks for the suggestion , but I think we've been round this loop before. The Magicstomp lacks XLRs, but it also lacks balanced inputs and outputs and separate wet and dry outputs. It is a guitar foot pedal rather than a piece of kit intended for interfacing with mixers and other studio gear. I don't have knowledge of the programming side because I don't have the necessary CD (and it's not in the handbook) but does it really have six separate digital processor modules in parallel, each capable of being programmed as a single signal repeat over the range of (say) 5 milliseconds - 5 seconds with individual level, feedback and on/off?

Ray
RayL

Next

Return to Other stuff...