Piet's eTap2hw unit.............

Re: Piet's eTap2hw unit.............

Postby MickB » 01 Oct 2012, 11:51

Hi Ecca.Whats the build price.Really need to get one.I'm a bit clumsy when it comes to circuit boards.
Regards MickB
MickB

Postby Nick Allan » 01 Oct 2012, 12:11

Quite agree with Mike - and Ecca - no more requests - just the unit as Ecca has already built.

I shall keep quiet now.

All the best,

Nick
Nick Allan

Postby Echotapper » 01 Oct 2012, 16:24

As Im 'walking on air' on the positive feedback from my eTap2hw unit I think its time to (re) express my recognition to a nice bunch of guy's as they are 'instrumental' to this success!

I'm glad it's exactly as the objectives I've set at the beginning of the project! During the project I've complied with engineering practices by going through all the modes from conceptual, modeling, SPICE simulations to beta testing of the builds including burn-in testing. After the beta was successfully a very selective group of guitarists, part of this forum:

Barry Davy,Johan Forrer,Lars-Göran Karlsson, Peter Nieuwenhoven,Dick Cruddas, Roger Cook ( in random order)

They joined in to work on improving the product's echo emulation quality (DSP based) by using the PDCA Cycle, or Deming Cycle being: Plan Do Check Act

In many controlled PDCA iterations, sending them my adapted binary code for re-programming the units,in the end we all came to the conclusion that the maximum was achieved.

It's seen by me as a joined effort by this group of people regarded by me as ' my eTap2hw project team'. I'm therefore glad the effort resulted in a nice product but also meeting and working with those guys was a privilege I would like to repeat with great pleasure!

In compliance with my objectives the source codes are now fully distributed under the license agreement to some (3) key people for future use/continuation/developments. Furthermore, programmers are distributed and/or acquired over the world to enable (re)programming the DSP unit in the case this is required.

It's great to notice Ecca becoming the UK production line. Lars in Sweden is already adding value to eTap2hw by selling automation and the first hybrid 'production'. Johan did a DIY automation that's also very appealing. Newtone is working on a complete kit with drilled enclosures.

Myself? I'm repairing boards who did not get to the point of working. I guess this is part of the story. After this I'm working this winter on a hybrid configuration being the eTap2hw unit fit to be used in a triode based unit.

Thanks! Enjoy it!
Piet
Last edited by Echotapper on 02 Oct 2012, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
Echotapper

Postby kipper » 01 Oct 2012, 16:35

piet you should be walking on air, :D i think we all owe you and your team a big thank you in designing and making this kit avaidable for the unit. and then at such an affordable price. the way you have all gone about this project is a cedit to you all. i cant think of anybody that has given there time so freely and never made any personal profit from it before. so from me and i am sure lots of others thank you :clap: :clap: . peter
kipper

Postby RogerCook » 01 Oct 2012, 16:41

Thanks for the acknowledgement of the efforts of the development group. But Piet is being too modest here. I know how much time and effort he put in to programming and refining the code as well as designing the analog circuitry. It wouldn't have happened without him. A great end result and a great bit of kit!

Thanks for everything Piet

:D :D
RogerCook

Postby db133 » 01 Oct 2012, 16:51

ecca wrote:By the way....... if anyone is hanging on thinking that a new and different unit is on the way...... it's not going to happen yet......... and in view of the things I'm being asked to include will cost a King's ransom if and when it arrives.

I dont know what others are doing but I'm saving up..........tc....
db133

Postby Bojan » 01 Oct 2012, 17:46

Echotapper wrote:As Im 'walking on air' on the positive feedback from my eTap2hw unit I think its time to (re) express my recognition to a nice bunch of guy's as they are 'instrumental' to this success!

I'm glad it's exactly as the objectives I've set at the beginning of the project! During the project I've complied with engineering practices by going through all the modes from conceptual, modeling, SPICE simulations to beta testing of the builds including burn-in testing. After the beta was successfully a very selective group of guitarists, part of this forum:

Barry Davy,Johan Forrer,Lars-Göran Karlsson, Peter Nieuwenhoven,Dick Cruddas, Roger Cook ( in random order)

They joined in to work on improving the product's echo emulation quality (DSP based) by using the PDCA Cycle, or Deming Cycle being: Plan Do Check Act

In many controlled PDCA iterations, sending them my adapted binary code for re-programming the units,in the end we all came to the conclusion that the maximum was achieved.

It's seen by me as a joined effort by this group of people regarded by me as ' my eTap2hw project team'. I'm therefore glad the effort resulted in a nice product but also meeting and working with those guys was a privilege I would like to repeat with great pleasure!

In compliance with my objectives the source codes are now fully distributed under the license agreement to some (3) key people for future use/continuation/developments. Furthermore, programmers are distributed and/or acquired over the world to enable (re)programming the DSP unit in the case this is required.

I'm great to notice Ecca becoming the UK production line. Lars in Sweden is already adding value to eTap2hw by selling automation and the first hybrid 'production'. Johan did a DIY automation that's also very appealing. Newtone is working on a complete kit with drilled enclosures.

Myself? I'm repairing boards who did not get to the point of working. I guess this is part of the story. After this I'm working this winter on a hybrid configuration being the eTap2hw unit fit to be used in a triode based unit.

Thanks! Enjoy it!
Piet

But this is only half of the story. Many years ago, when most of the people in these forums only knew Piet as a member of the Shadows community and never knew about his echo projects, he had already created the highly successful and fantastic eTAP2 Engineer, a vst "plugin version of the vintage tape and disc-echoes like those that were used by Hank Marvin and others in the past," whose massive success inspired Piet to go on an make the hardware version, the eTAP2HW. Whoever has used the eTAP2 vst plugin, either for recording or for playing live through a VST host and a computer, knows just how good this little program is and what fantastic echoes it produces, plus wow and flutter, saturation, halo, and equalization, valve noise, head variance -- the works !!! For many years, I and other people in these forums have been using the eTAP2 plugin with the excellent and precise J-patches that Piet programmed with Jacob Heijer. So, Piet deserves our utmost respect and gratitude for his unselfish and dedicated work not only in the past couple of years in creating the eTAP2HW, but for many, many years of painstaking work that he likes to call his "labor of love." I can hardly wait to see the results of Piet's further work on the eTAP2HW and the eTAP2. :thumbup:
Bojan

Postby Didier » 01 Oct 2012, 18:55

Mike Honey wrote:definately KISS (keep it simple, stupid), wish I could get one made up here in France

mike

There has been at least one built in France by Jean-Claude. He received the kit in June, built it in a rush and a few days later he demonstrated it at the Swisshads meeting.

But he lives in Dijon, which is quite far from Dordogne !

Didier
Didier

Postby AlanMcKillop » 02 Oct 2012, 07:33

I've had a good play around with this unit now and there are some great sounds. I'm sure someone asked about the controls and what they did (apart from the obvious). On/Off/Level is self explanatory, Dry/Wet is also self explanatory, Heads not quite so easy to work out. I can hear subtle differences (I think), is there a guide as to what of the various numbered positions do? and lastly, Feedback which is self explanatory.

Now I reckon once you select the required program, most of the controls can be set according to taste as you can hear the adjustment and only the Head control is not so clear (to me anyway) hence my request, so any help would be appreciated where the controls maybe play a roll other than what they are labelled. I'm ok with the Tremolo setting, I can hear what the controls do to the effect. ;)

See post 51 + This was setting 5 on Piets unit using the thumbwheel, there are 8 settings emulating various units.
Its description is; 'Meazzi Echomatic ll Classic'.
The second pot ( Red in my picture ) controls the level of heads 1,2 and 3 and the third pot (Yellow ) controls the level of head 4 on setting 5.
Pot 1 (Black) is level control and pot 4 ( Grey ) is feedback.

I think this now answers my query. :D
AlanMcKillop

Postby keithmantle » 02 Oct 2012, 09:38

Echotapper wrote:As Im 'walking on air' on the positive feedback from my eTap2hw unit I think its time to (re) express my recognition to a nice bunch of guy's as they are 'instrumental' to this success!

It's great to notice Ecca becoming the UK production line. Lars in Sweden is already adding value to eTap2hw by selling automation and the first hybrid 'production'. Johan did a DIY automation that's also very appealing. Newtone is working on a complete kit with drilled enclosures.

Thanks! Enjoy it!
Piet

Many thanks to 'All the Team'
keithmantle

PreviousNext

Return to Building Problems? Q&A