Thank you for your Magicstomp patches!

Anything to do with eTap2HW

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Thank you for your Magicstomp patches!

Postby PFtwanger » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:34 am

Hi:

First time post. I've lurked here on and off, but I joined specifically to say thank you to Piet (last name?) and Jacob Heijer.

As you can guess, I have a Magicstomp that I never used before--couldn't get it to talk to my PC. By some miracle of google, I found a driver that worked and last week I was able to download your truly magical patches. OH MY GOD what a difference. I have two CD/tab books--Jam with Hank Marvin, and Play Guitar with Hank Marvin, and I literally can't wait to play with them every day.

I can't remember the last time I was so enchanted to play guitar, and I truly owe it to you two.

THANK YOU!
--Paul

p.s.: It appears that the site I downloaded the patches from is no longer active, so I hope I chose the right place to say thanks.
PFtwanger

Re: Thank you for your Magicstomp patches!

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:21 am

Piet Verbruggen is a member of this site, Paul. His ID here is echotapper.

Hope this helps - Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby PFtwanger » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi Iain:

Thanks for the pointer. I wanted to be sure to thank Piet publicly, so I hope he sees this.

I'll also figure out how to send a PM, but I think it would be best for him to have an idea of who I am first! :D

--Paul
PFtwanger

Postby Echotapper » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:28 pm

PFtwanger wrote:Hi Iain:

Thanks for the pointer. I wanted to be sure to thank Piet publicly, so I hope he sees this.

I'll also figure out how to send a PM, but I think it would be best for him to have an idea of who I am first! :D

--Paul

That's very kind of you Paul and highly appreciated!!

Kind regards and happy playing!

Piet
Echotapper

Postby PFtwanger » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:58 am

Piet:

I'm glad you saw this. There were several false starts over the last couple of years trying to get my Windows 7 PC to communicate with my Magicstomp. Meanwhile, I was getting by using a couple of "generic" multi-tap settings--one slow, one fast, basically.

When I finally got your patches to download to the Magicstomp, I was literally vibrating with excitement. Your correct settings actually change the way I play every song, but it's especially noticeable on the slower ones. My right hand is much more relaxed on songs like Apache and Man of Mystery now, and I can feel my playing falling into the "swing" of the tune, which makes it much more expressive. This has to do with the "pockets" created by your echoes, which make the slight pauses feel more natural.

It reminds me of the excitement I had when I first learned to play guitar in the beginning. This is a great gift you've given us!

--Paul
PFtwanger

Postby shadowtonio » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:08 am

hello Paul,

Its very handy to have a equalizer to place after the magic stomp, to correct the bass and the low mids.
I do have the boss Ge-10, also usable is the MXR- 108 from Korg.

cheers, tonio 8-)

Ronnies demo:---------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5cOLV_fci4
shadowtonio

Full Real Name: Tonio Kooijman

Postby PFtwanger » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:54 am

Hi Tonio:

Thanks for the tip. I usually play through a mixing board so I can play along with my Hank Marvin backing tracks CD + Books ("Play Guitar With" type packages), and I've noticed that I need to EQ a bit to get it to sit nicely in the headphones. It's helpful to know that much better players than I are doing the same thing. It also varies depending on which strat I'm playing. My Mexican standard 2006 with ceramic pickups is quite low-endy. On the other hand, I'm lucky to have a 2004 masterbuilt 1954 recreation that was done by Fender to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Strat. Those pickups are very evenly balanced and don't require much.

Could you help me understand the similarities/differences between the MagicStomp patches vs. the Blue Nebula and Baby Blue? I've read every post about those devices and gone to their web site so I could read the manuals. It's not clear to me what I gain by comparison to the Magicstomp, but if there's value to be gained I'd be glad to "support the cause," as it were.

As it is, I'm still so happy every time I use the MagicStomp, I thank Piet repeatedly!

--Paul
PFtwanger

Postby shadowtonio » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:28 am

hello paul,

the BN is the extended baby blue (with automation and usb), ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the baby blue is cheaper, you could buy one and then
see the differences,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The magic stomp is also very good with the right patches od course,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

cheers, tonio :)

the meazzi man
shadowtonio

Full Real Name: Tonio Kooijman

Postby PFtwanger » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:51 pm

Hi Tonio:

Always appreciate your responses. I guess I should try to be more precise about my confusion. :?

1. It appears that the Magicstomp patches, the VST versions of those patches, the etap2 pedal, the Baby Blue Pedal, and the Nebula all start with the same software for the guitar patch emulations, correct?

2. This means that the differences in sound and/or features are the result of the hardware platform. For example, based on what I've read at the Stanley Website and the echotapper log, the Baby Blue replaced the discontinued etap2 pedal because the hardware improvements of the Baby Blue resulted in better sounding patches. The Nebula improves on the Baby Blue by adding library and automation, but it's unclear to me whether it also adds any hardware sound improvements versus the Baby Blue.

3. And now to the heart of my question: The Magicstomp already has library and extensive editing capabilities similar to the Nebula. What I'm not clear on is whether the hardware of the Blue Nebula will make the patches sound better than the Magicstomp. If so, it would make it a no-brainer for me. Even if it doesn't, I might get on the waiting list for it anyway, just to support the hard work done by all on the project. I'm just trying to figure out how to set my expectations.

Thanks for your patience in reading this. Can you, or anyone, shed some light on how the *sound* of the Blue Nebula compares to the *sound* of the Magicstomp?

Thanks in advance,
--Paul
PFtwanger

Postby GuitarPhil » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi Paul,

Sorry I can't help you with comparing the sound of the Magicstomp and the Blue Nebula as I only possess the latter which IMO sounds great. (Disclosure: I am one of the BN design team 8-) )

You are correct that the eTap2hw pedal, the Baby Blue and the Blue Nebula have the same effects DSP 'software' but the Magicstomp is a totally different beast. I don't know for sure but I am guessing it uses a custom chip that Yamaha had designed by or for them.

The Baby Blue and the Blue Nebula have the same improved preamp which is a lower noise and more advanced design to better emulate the valve preamp in the original Meazzi echo units than the eTap2 pedal which had a simpler preamp.

Maybe someone has both a BB/BN and a Magicstomp and can give you a comparison but of course you would prefer to hear it for yourself.

Regards,

Phil.
GuitarPhil

Full Real Name: Philip Hawthorne

Next

Return to eTap2HW Forum