Bass help needed please

No longer meeting

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Bass help needed please

Postby Jetmarvinwelch » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi everyone, after many visits to your club I have finally decided that I would like to learn to play bass guitar, so any help and advice would be greatfully received also I am in need of a cheap bass guitar and amplifier to practice on, I am currently looking on eBay,preloved and gumtree but if you know of anymore websites where I could find a cheap guitar and amp please could you let me know
Thank you
xx Jet xx
Jetmarvinwelch

Re: Bass help needed please

Postby Jay Bass » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi Jet
it all depends realy on your budget ,but if you are looking for a good quality bass to start on
then there are quite a few out there, the obvious would be a squier precision very reasonable second on ebay etc
but also have a look at Peavey ,Yamaha,&ibanez basses very good value and well made playable instruments.
im sure there are others .
if the amp is for practice only then there are lots to choose from .
but again a secondhand peavey / Fender / Ashdown bass combo would be a good start if you wanted
to use it in a small room hall etc, a 15" speaker is what you realy need to handle the bass frequency properly.

regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby Jetmarvinwelch » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Hiya, I've got a man coming over Wednesday to show me his fender squier bass with a tweed hard case, will bring it with me to the club if I buy, I'm sure I will buy it because he says it's in great condition.
Just got to find myself a nice little bass amplifier to practice with now
Xx Jet xX
Jetmarvinwelch

Postby cockroach » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:21 pm

See if you can find a secondhand old model Peavey bass amp(the type with the two vertical aluminium strips either side of the speaker)- for instance, I use a Peavey 50 watt 1x 12 combo (called a Basic 50)

They are tough, reliable, loud for the size and not too heavy or bulky.

The Squier basses are fine, although I bought a Yamaha mainly because it was a bit lighter and compact, as I'm a shortass!

Best of luck with it- after all you have four fingers and only four strings and no need for chords!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Jetmarvinwelch » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Thank you, I will look for a peavey amp like you said, the guitar the man is bringing over is a fender squire jazz bass it's a 5 string, will that be a problem if if learning shadows numbers?
Jetmarvinwelch

Postby Jay Bass » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Jetmarvinwelch wrote:Thank you, I will look for a peavey amp like you said, the guitar the man is bringing over is a fender squire jazz bass it's a 5 string, will that be a problem if if learning shadows numbers?

Hi
A 5 string Bass Will Make no difference in learning Bass parts ,its just a extra low string tuned to the note of B
which means you can play down to a bottom B note rather than bottom E as on a 4string
it can be quite helpful when playing in some keys, or transposing keys for vocal numbers etc.
just remember standard Tab is for 4 string basses ,so you would just ignore the 5th ( B ) string.
standard tuning is usualy B E A D G for 5 string & B E A D G C for 6string basses.
regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby Jetmarvinwelch » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:38 pm

Thank you very much, I have my eye on a few peavey amps on eBay at the moment so fingers crossed, I'm getting the guitar Wednesday just before I come to the club I think it's a good deal, the guitar with a hard tweed case, the man said the guitar don't have a Mark on it and he wants £95ovno for it, is that a good price to pay?
Thanks xx
XX JET XX
Jetmarvinwelch

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Nothing wrong with the Squier 5 string bass - Griff played a 5 string for a while during his Shadows career. :thumbup:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Jetmarvinwelch » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:55 pm

Wow brill, but I won't ever get that good lol
Jetmarvinwelch

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:25 pm

If you're learning from scratch then I guess a 5 string is OK, although the low string is not necessary for the standard Shads fare.

I have been playing 4-string bass for a long time and only recently acquired a 5-string. I'm afraid I can't get on with it. My muscle memory keeps sending me to the wrong string...

That may say more about me than it does about the 5-stringer! However, I thought it worth sharing :)

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Next

Return to Kent Shadows Music Club & Other Guitar Heroes