Meazzi Sound Difference

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Meazzi Sound Difference

Postby Patrice » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi Dan,

I think that your problem (non sufficient Cathedral effect on your Meazzi Echomatic) is coming from an inadequate (not enough) "feedback" (swell) level ?
Originally on these machines the "pot", for adjusting this feedback level, is not located on the front panel but screwed, "inside" the box, on its frame.
(On the frame you have to find two pots : One for ajusting the "direct" level (In/Out through the Meazzi) and this pot for adjusting the feedback level.)
So ! It's easy to understand that if the knob of this feedback pot is not turned enough...
May be it's the "simple" reason ?!
Hope this is the solution for you !

Now:
Many users change the place of this feedback pot from the frame to the front panel.
I am sure that Phil Kelly (hello Phil ! ;) ) on his Meazzi Echomatic has done this "modification"...
Anyway and for coming back to your problem:
May be that your Meazzi has some electronic trouble on this feedback circuit ?
So, difficult to give a (the !) solution of this problem without testing it...

Like I don't write very often on Shadowmusic (sorry :oops) I would like to say two words about the Hank's SEP/Vox Echo used for recorded : "My resistance Is Low" or W.L. (Or and for many more songs !)
May be you know that I specially customized (new spacing fot the heads for the "echo song", and new SEP type electronic for the "tone") a PE 603 T Binson to clone the SEP/Vox Echo used (mainly) by Hank since the Kon Tiki recording in January 61.
If I decided to transform a Binson PE 603 model , its because its "Drum record system".
Now:
I have also, at home, an Echomatic Meazzi with its original (and very similar tube electronics than the SEP) on which I changed the heads spacing for having the "right" delays of the SEP/Vox Echo...
Then it's "easy" to compare the final acoustic results.
It's very "curious" to remark that the "halo" of the reverb generated is "different" between a TAPE Echomatic Meazzi and with a "DRUM" (type) system, by using my Binson clone SEP/Vox Echo...
With the drum system, as soon as you play "open notes", the reverb halo obtained is "terrific".
And if, on a TAPE system (and on an Echomatic Meazzi) you can always heard a little bit... of each of the four "delays" (100, 200, 280 and 350ms) on an "open note" played on and with the DRUM system, it's ONLY reverb.
(The decay like the song of a Boing 747 !!!!)
And in final, the same type of reverb halo than Hank has in My Resistance Is low...
So, and about "That Sound":
I think that Hank was VERY LUCKY (VERY VERY !) to use this kind of Drum SEP/ Echo box during the Early Years.
But ?!

Regards
Patrice
Patrice

Full Real Name: Patrice Bastien

Return to How To Get "That Sound"