Ipad Echo pad Now with sound examples

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Ipad Echo pad Now with sound examples

Postby ecca » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:54 am

Yes it was better Chris.
Timings are generally accepted to be those.
Best sources are Echotapper and the TVS site.
http://www.ac15.org.uk/meazzi/Head%20Timings.htm
ecca

Postby ecca » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:21 am

Incidentally, 6 heads aren't required, I've got a very good Shads echo on my Roland GR55 Guitar synth using 3.
Tone is also important, a little bit of distortion on the echoes works wonders.
ecca

Postby HoldernessMedia » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:02 am

ecca wrote:Yes it was better Chris.
Timings are generally accepted to be those.
Best sources are Echotapper and the TVS site.
http://www.ac15.org.uk/meazzi/Head%20Timings.htm

Awesome! If you come up with some solid presets I'd like to hear them. You can email them to me at support at holdernessmedia dot com.

ecca wrote:Incidentally, 6 heads aren't required, I've got a very good Shads echo on my Roland GR55 Guitar synth using 3.
Tone is also important, a little bit of distortion on the echoes works wonders.

It might be a little too distorted, but you could try turning on "8-bit Echo" in Echo Pad. This applies a mild bitcrush effect to the echo repeats, although it's probably too distorted. Worth a a quick tap of a button to find out though!
HoldernessMedia

Postby ecca » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:53 am

I've been playing around with it over the last couple of nights and I remain mightily impressed.
I'll dig out a demo I did with the GR 55 of Peace Pipe, it's on here somewhere but it's been 18 months back and I can't find it.
The fundamental problem with digital echoes is that they're too clean and don't naturally decay into a mush as they would if you were yodelling in a Swiss valley, not that I've done much of that.
A 4 head device with independent feedback taps , timings and level controls would be just about it really.
Simulation of tape bias etc goes some way towards a vintage feel but Apache was done on a drum echo so it isn't the complete thing.
I don't think wow and flutter is that important and all simulations sound unrealistic to me. You only ever really noticed it if you hadn't made a good job of joining the tape on your Copicat.
The 2 Binson Echorecs I've had in my time had drums and they distorted like the clappers but......... I got to quite like it having little choice ( or money ) to do anything different at the time.
Keep up the good work......
ecca

Postby Ornum54 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:40 am

I've checked out this app & listened to examples but how does it work please excuse my ignorance if it is pretty basic.
Ornum54

Postby sirbern » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:46 pm

I'm reading this thread with interest. I use backing tracks for live performance and I'm currently using mini disc. The sound reproduction is first class but the technology is old and clunky.

I have an iPad and would like to use it to play my existing backing tracks. I realize that I would need to convert my analogue tracks into mp3s. Any advice on appropriate apps would be appreciated. Thanks, sirbern
sirbern

Full Real Name: Bernard Hatch

Postby petercreasey » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:44 am

sirbern wrote:I'm reading this thread with interest. I use backing tracks for live performance and I'm currently using mini disc. The sound reproduction is first class but the technology is old and clunky.

I have an iPad and would like to use it to play my existing backing tracks. I realize that I would need to convert my analogue tracks into mp3s. Any advice on appropriate apps would be appreciated. Thanks, sirbern

I have used “play on cue” for backing tracks with success for £1.99 from the App Store it does the job.
Hope that helps
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby Hank2k » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:02 am

i use "one track mind" for playing backing tracks. again it is a cheap app that just allows you to set playlists etc. Shows what songs you have already done and stops at the end of every song or can be set to have a certain interval between playing the next track
Hank2k

Postby nivramarvin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:48 pm

sirbern wrote:I have an iPad and would like to use it to play my existing backing tracks. I realize that I would need to convert my analogue tracks into mp3s. Any advice on appropriate apps would be appreciated. Thanks, sirbern

I use the TRAKTOR DJ software on my iPad (without using all these DJ functions) to play my backing tracks.
nivramarvin

Full Real Name: Wolfgang Hefele

Postby sirbern » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:20 pm

Thank you all. How do I transfer my tracks to my iPad? Apologies for my ignorance!
sirbern

Full Real Name: Bernard Hatch

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"