Tone is Truth

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

Tone is Truth

Postby chas » 24 Sep 2012, 21:15

If you read Jim's 'Tone...does not exist' thread in this section which was very interesting, then this video from the same source is also interesting!

http://youtu.be/NQMLo1xym0Q
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Re: Tone is Truth

Postby cockroach » 25 Sep 2012, 11:59

Blimey, what a lot of talk!

He could have made the point quicker and more easily by just playing the bloody guitar!

More to the point, get two or more players play the same piece of music or chord sequence etc on the same guitar without changing any settings..and they will all sound different to some degree!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby abstamaria » 25 Sep 2012, 16:38

Thanks, Chas.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby JimN » 25 Sep 2012, 23:51

Add this one to the general gaiety of the "tone" thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TKcHNzqqh0

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby chas » 26 Sep 2012, 00:05

:D
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Postby roger bayliss » 26 Sep 2012, 11:55

It's in the harmonic content then as he says . He does not mention Odd and Even harmonics though and from what I know the odd ones are the non musical sounding ones and the more of those present spoils the sound. A good example is the difference between valve and transistors as used in amps and effects . Some do a better job and valve amps are generally percieved as warmer and more musical sounding as they tend to amplify the even harmaonic better than transistors. However some transistors do a better job than others and MOSFETs are the valve equivalent in transistors.

I have a MOSFET transistor amp and it sounds almost as nice as my Vox AC30 Heritage, but I have owned other transistor based amps in the past and found them to be harsh and did not like the sounds at all .

Tone though matters to all musicians whether you are a guitarist or a violinist or pianist etc... the sound you are after for your type of music and you will search it out often at great cost to yourselves in reaching the final goal you strive for.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Return to How To Get "That Sound"