Vox ToneLab ST

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, George Geddes

Vox ToneLab ST

Postby playitcoolmusic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:58 am

Hi Guys

I have a Vox Tonelab ST going into a Fender Stage Amp, Classic 50's Strat (and a Tele!) can anyone out there point me in the right direction with some setting for Shads/early British Rock & Roll tones, if there is such a thing as a 'generic' tone which could be used say on Apache but also on some other tracks that would be great. More specifically the second track on the attached link is the sound I am after. Think these guys have nailed it with a very authentic sound. Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NvpsK-bkUA

Neil
playitcoolmusic

Full Real Name: Neil Cowling

Re: Vox ToneLab ST

Postby andy1982 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:59 am

Would like to have so info on this too..
Last edited by andy1982 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
andy1982

Re: Vox ToneLab ST

Postby dave robinson » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:19 am

I have been using these now for almost two years with great success. I use the Tonelab LE & SE for my live gigs and these are different to the ST version, otherwise I would be happy to try and help. Each of my two offer the correct echo programming tools that allow the same echo timings and head spaces that are on my ESE Echomatic, so programming a similar set of patches to the EFTP ones is relatively simple. None of the other Tonelab models have the same facilities as the SE & LE. I have checked each new model and they have omitted a selection in the MODULATION that allowed an extra 'head' to make up the four heads required. That said you can still get good results by experimenting.
The ST gives the capability to create the Apache/Man Of Mystery/Frightened City type of echo, but not the Wonderful Land one with the four heads tripping sound, but the LE & SE have an extra echo feature in the MODULATION bank, which gives the fourth tap.

I would say that if you are going into a guitar amp, beware of over EQ ing because in effect you have two sets of tone controls operating - I disable the amp part of the Tonelab when going through my guitar amp, using only the effects, but when playing through the PA I use the Vox or Fender modelling to shape the sound that I want. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to How To Get "That Sound"