Echo machines...

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Echo machines...

Postby John Boyd » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:30 am

Hello Rosemary,
Greetings from across the pond.
I'm sure you're on the right track. I've had no personal experience with the G2 (I use a q20) but the Zoom units have had very good reviews
and with Charlies patches, you'll be sounding more like 'the man' in no time.
I hear some G2 users approaching, so I'll retire to just watching and await their helpful and informative responses to your post.
Go well with the playing.
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

Postby Rosemary » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi John
Thanks. It sounds promising. I've just been searching YouTube for covers of Shadows tunes using Zoom G2-1u and EFTP to see how they sound but there are of course a lot of variables in quality of the videos. I'll let you know if I decide to buy one.
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby RUSSET » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi Rosie,
I have used the Zoom G2 & G2.1u for many years now. They are excellent for setting up individual patches (memory slots) which you can pedal through with your foot to find the correct one for the tune you want to play. Each patch may have its parameters tailored by you to suit whatever sounds you want. There are several sound modules available from which to select your sound, including, Compression, Noise Reduction, Amp Model, EQ, Gain, Ambient effects inc. Echos & Reverbs. There are versions of Echos on three seperate modules, so that you can, with a bit of subtle selection, produce Echos upon Echos & achieve the typical Shads style tripping repeats so loved by our members. There are several great amp models inc. Vox, fender & Marshall
although the Vox one seems to break up into distortion at a very low rate of Gain, so I tend to use a Clean fender Twin Reverb model for my Shads patch simulations. There is also a great Acoustic guitar simulation in the amp model module, which I find very usefull for Bruce welch Rhythm tones. There is an overall option for either playing through a guitar combo or direct into a PA system. Choose the wrong one & it will not sound so good. It's all to do with overdoing the level of preamp gain. The Amp models act as preamps& are therefore gain in addition to the preamp of a guitar amp. Above all make sure to read the manual thoroughly, so that you understand the workings of the G2 ..... it's quite a simple straightforward manual & you will get some great sounds out of it for a moderate expense. ....and of course you can buy Charlie's EFTP patch parameters to set it up with.
Regards, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby ecca » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:14 pm

TONY ....... When are you coming to see the Hankies ?
ecca

Postby Rosemary » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:13 am

Hi Tony
Thanks very much for your advice. It's good to hear you're happy with these units. They sound great and the foot control will be really handy too. I've been in contact with Charlie and I'll probably buy the later Zoom G2.1Nu if it's available (hopefully tomorrow at lunchtime if the music shop has one). I can't wait!
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby RUSSET » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:43 am

Hi Rosie,
Also check out the Zoom website, as I believe they have a new upgraded version of the G2 being releaseed soon. It's bound to be a bit more expensive though, I would guess. I was actually using my G2.1u at a gig last night, banging out 'The Stranger' & a few other Shads & general '60s tunes. I'm mainly the Rhythm player in my band though, but do play Lead on two or three Shads tunes.

Regards, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby RUSSET » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:03 pm

ecca wrote:TONY ....... When are you coming to see the Hankies ?

Hi Ecca,
Nice to see your smilin' visage on your avatar. Yes I really need to try & get up to Hankies on one of these Tuesdays. I have been quite busy this past year or so with my band 'Shindig', so my time has been taken up with rehearsals & gigging, & we have three gigs coming up during the December lead up to Xmas. I do keep a regular eye on what going on on the website & read all the 'Hanky' posting with great joy & amusement .... keep it up. I'll have a word with my brother Chris, who you will remember (Bass player) who lives in Foundry Lane, Pelsall, & we'll arange to get up to Great Wyrley soon. I have now become a bit of a Squier boy ... ooo er missus, & have indulged myself in a Squier 'Simon Neil - Biffy Clyro' Classic Vibe Fiesta Red '60s Strat, & a Classic Vibe '50s Tele which are both excellent guitars & bat well above their price range. Must bring them up to Hankies & submit them to the Cheese Cob commitee for approval & licence.

Best Regards, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Rosemary » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi Tony
If it's the G2.1Nu it appears to be slightly less expensive according to the online catalogue which seems a bit strange. Anyway I'm hoping I'll be able to buy one tomorrow. I'll let you know if I do. :)
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tony parnham » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:08 pm

The new G2.1Nu is better in the following way;
1) It has a Labrarian you can download and then load EFTP in one go
2) The Interface is much better and the display is more comprehensive and user friendly
3) There are many more amp models BUT still only the one Vox (AC 30) but a very usable Clean Fender amp
4) The EQ is better layed out but still with 6 band I believe
5) The Vox amp modelling sounds marginally better as well
6) The Echoes remain the same as the original G2 very adequate for EFTP
7) There is a direct recording button which does not compromise the Extra EQ facility unlike the original G2
8) The Amp modelling when recording also sounds marginally better.

All in all the actual sound you would get from the front end of the amp would probably not be noticeable on a side by side comparison but the improvements are certainly worth considering this new model.
Hope this helps
Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby Rosemary » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:52 am

Hi John, Tony, Tony and Ecca too
Thanks again for all your advice. I was able to buy the G2.1Nu at lunchtime today so should have a chance to set it up tomorrow night or Wednesday and am also arranging to purchase Charlie's patches.
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"