String bending for beginner

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

String bending for beginner

Postby Rosemary » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:09 am

Hi

I have a little repertoire of half a dozen or so numbers now and have placed an order from Leo's Den for backing tracks and other items as I can play these few numbers pretty much up to tempo now (though not without mistakes).

Naturally Apache is one of them but I can't get the string bending bit at the beginning anything like the original. Any hints would be very welcome - along with the last chords of Atlantis. (btw I have a Fender Strat as well as the acoustic now in case anyone remembers my earlier posts when I was only learning the acoustic).

Thanks very much in advance :)
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Re: String bending for beginner

Postby ernie1958 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:36 am

8-) Hi Rosemary
I could give you a few tips on how to string-bend,but it's better to watch "how to.." than someone trying to explain the technique by posting.
My advice,as I've seen it many times on Youtube,is indeed look up the subject on that website.Lots of vids so as you can learn by actually
watching how people do it and then try it yourself.
Practice makes (nearly :D ) perfect so don't expect to get it right on the first try..patience is a virtue.. ;)

Hope this helps,
Cheers and good luck,
Ernie
ernie1958

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Rosemary I think Hank Marvin in the early days playing heavy strings also struggled and the result was he had to use a combination of bending with the fingers and assisting with the tremelo arm by pulling it upwards. Takes practice to perfect of course and normally most guitarists would use the first three strings for note bending but a wound third makes this very difficult ! :)
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby alanbakewell » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi Rosemary, a simple tip from me would be that strings are far easier to bend around the eighth fret rather than lower, ( towards the headstock ) down the board.
Just practice bending the D or G rather than that spiteful top E. ( It digs in your fingers :( ). The D or G being thicker are a little kinder to one's digits.

Best of luck.

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby Rosemary » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi Ernie, Roger and Alan
Thanks very much for your help and tips. I need all the help I can get so very much appreciate it. :) I even bought the Learn to Play Hank Marvin DVDs where it's explained but when I play it, it doesn't sound right so as you said, it's probably just practice.

Interestingly on those DVDs the tutor teaches Wonderful Land in the same position I originally taught myself (on the iPhone pocket guitar!) and I still feel more comfortable playing it that way although I've learnt the usual way too (but find it more difficult).

Roger: I had to look up 'wound third" and this is really interesting because it's the string that gives me the most intonation problems no matter how carefully I tune it.
I mentioned this problem in another post and it is almost certainly to do with my technique (or lack thereof) and pressing too hard or maybe not picking hard enough. It's amazing that within the same tune I can be off pitch at the beginning and spot on at the end when playing the exact same phrase so it has to be something to do with technique.

Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Return to How To Get "That Sound"