Sliders pickups

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Sliders pickups

Postby Martyn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Geoff Alderton LH wrote: . . . along with the Curt Mangan pure nickel strings, hopefully, will get me a bit closer to 'That Sound'.

Not heard of these strings so can you fill me in on why you're choosing them, how they differ from other strings, perhaps?
Cheers,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby dave robinson » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:24 pm

I haven't heard of those strings either, I manage to get the sound whether using Gibson, Ernie Ball, D'Addario or Labella - no mystery there and there never was.
Sadly there will be some who spend money on all of these things we discuss here, such as amps, echo boxes and everything else related who will not hear the difference and will have to accept that the main ingredient is in fact the player - it is unfortunate that there is no fast-track to achieving the sound, other than hard work. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby 51 Relic » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:55 am

Quite agree , Many players think it just a matter of fretting and picking a note and buying the same gear as Hank or any well known player :!: In fact its what comes from inside that counts ( emotion)the guitars amps and echo boxes just make it sound that little bit better .

I friend and I used to gig together at the weekends the following gear was used by each of us the only difference was his legend was white mine is pink

1x Burns Legend british custom shop
1x 508 GU7 Delays
1x POD PRO

All into a PA system :o

The sound was the same when we swapped guitars and rigs -Down to the player i think !!! :D

Cheers Nigel
51 Relic

Postby dave robinson » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:20 am

The reason I said those things in my last post is that I have heard of some folks buying certain products including the Sliders Pickups and they are not getting the sound that they expected, there does need to be some input from the player.
To add to that, I fitted a set of £60.00 Tonerider Pure Vintage pickups to a Fender 60's Classic Player Strat which had 57/62's fitted and the change was phenominal. I was ready to sell that particular guitar as it didn't sound right, but have since had a change of mind as it now sounds close to the tone I get from the more elaborate guitars I own.
I had previously tried the Toneriders on another instrument and they didn't impress, which is why they were lying around in a drawer. I believe that certain parts and pickups work in harmony with certain types of body/neck wood and a little experimenting can unearth gems such as the one I have just described. :idea:
I must also add that I have a 50's Classic Player Strat which is fitted with 57/62's and it sounds great.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Having played around with the set-up on my Strat over recent weeks I am convinced that the set-up on the guitar changes the tone and once the balance and volume from the strings is right , it sounds right.. and thats when the top end rings out with the right sort of volume and the bass end does not over dominate the sound. Together with the pick-up heights it's that I found that bought the right tone out of my Strat ... just a 1/4 of a turn here on pickups and string heights made all the difference. Still got 3 trem strings on too ! Some guitars are darker sounding too and pickups suit some guitars more than others.. We like to mess don't we .. always searching for the grail :yawn: :lolno: :crazy: :lol: :lol: :crazy:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"