Which "sound" is "that" then?

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Which "sound" is "that" then?

Postby Bojan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:56 pm

That's why we're here to "guide" him home . . . ;)
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby GEGE » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:11 pm

Thank you very much for your appreciations.

I am very touched David by your reception of welcome.

Bojan, a this honor that you makes me be called "Onk"

Didier many thanks for your translations.

Here in video my version of "Géronimo" With BT of Roberto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrH7GWlkAAY

Amicalement

GEGE
GEGE

Full Real Name: Tabis Gérard

Postby ecca » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:02 pm

roger bayliss wrote:Have exactly the same problem when I play at home it sounds so good I am really happy with it then I got to our Hankies club and the sound is not as I expect it to be and it kinda puts me off playing a bit. I think it the reverb in the room and the reflected sound and the 'beam' from you amps speakers that is behind most of the reasoning. I also get more bass notes at the club that at home becasue you have turned the amp up higher than at home... working on it all the time but never really been a pro player so not had the experience that some have had in playing live..

If we take a mike to the Hankies Rog perhaps we can mike you up.
You can then play at the volume you play at home.
Anything to stop that mardy face when you're not happy with the sound.
ecca

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:05 pm

OK Ecca ! :crazy: :lol:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby alanbakewell » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:32 pm

roger bayliss wrote:OK Ecca ! :crazy: :lol:

For the benefit of those whose first language isn't English, ( 75% of the West Midlands for example ), here's a definition of "Mardy".

Regional slang assumed to be derived from 'Moody' originating from Derby, and over recent years having gradually become more commonly used as far south as Northamptonshire and as far north as Manchester (in many episodes of Coronation Street for example).

It is used most widely to describe children when they are having a tantrum or an adult who is sulking when not getting their own way. It describes a person who is feeling sorry for themselves or is crying shallow, crocodile tears.

This fantastic adjective has risen to more widespread fame in recent times thanks to those lovely lads from Sheffield, the Arctic Monkeys who wrote a song called Mardy Bum about a girl who was really mardy. Now all those southern softies have latched onto this fantastic word, it won't be long before we are hearing Peggy Mitchell behind the bar of the Queen Vic calling Billy a 'Mard Arse'.
In Derby, where the word originates from, it is very common to hear people calling others 'Mard Arse'. 'Stop bein such a mard arse!' meaning 'Stop being so moody, childish, grumpy, etc'.

The word is also used commonly in playground banter. Rhymes such as 'Mardy Mardy Mustard, You Can't Eat Your Custard, Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah!' were commonplace in Derby schools during the 1980s. [/b]What is so wonderful about this word is that it has a whole meaning of its own and even though assumed to be derived from 'moody' it is not quite the same.

It is therefore of interest to know that the Chinese have a word that has exactly the same meaning as 'Mardy', therefore, it should be accepted into the Oxford English dictionary as a recognised word.[/b][/b]
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby Risky » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:04 pm

alanbakewell wrote:
roger bayliss wrote:OK Ecca ! :crazy: :lol:

For the benefit of those whose first language isn't English, ( 75% of the West Midlands for example ), here's a definition of "Mardy".

Regional slang assumed to be derived from 'Moody' originating from Derby, and over recent years having gradually become more commonly used as far south as Northamptonshire and as far north as Manchester (in many episodes of Coronation Street for example).

It is used most widely to describe children when they are having a tantrum or an adult who is sulking when not getting their own way. It describes a person who is feeling sorry for themselves or is crying shallow, crocodile tears.

This fantastic adjective has risen to more widespread fame in recent times thanks to those lovely lads from Sheffield, the Arctic Monkeys who wrote a song called Mardy Bum about a girl who was really mardy. Now all those southern softies have latched onto this fantastic word, it won't be long before we are hearing Peggy Mitchell behind the bar of the Queen Vic calling Billy a 'Mard Arse'.
In Derby, where the word originates from, it is very common to hear people calling others 'Mard Arse'. 'Stop bein such a mard arse!' meaning 'Stop being so moody, childish, grumpy, etc'.

The word is also used commonly in playground banter. Rhymes such as 'Mardy Mardy Mustard, You Can't Eat Your Custard, Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah!' were commonplace in Derby schools during the 1980s. [/b]What is so wonderful about this word is that it has a whole meaning of its own and even though assumed to be derived from 'moody' it is not quite the same.

It is therefore of interest to know that the Chinese have a word that has exactly the same meaning as 'Mardy', therefore, it should be accepted into the Oxford English dictionary as a recognised word.[/b][/b]

Who wrote that rubbish above Bakey? We were using the word "Mardy" in Manchester when I was a kid way back in the 1950s. I can still remember once hitting my best mate in the face with a snowball, making him cry. My sympathetic response was "Shut it, yer big mardy kid".

Phil
(ex-guitar player) - now a ukulele and ukulele bass player!
Update: After 10 years absence, now a born-again Hankie
Risky

Full Real Name: Phil Wolstenholme

Postby alanbakewell » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:45 pm

You always were ahead of your time Phil. :D
alanbakewell

Postby Amanda » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:22 pm

Do I detect a couple of posts from the esteemed Mr Bakewell?
Or as he is sometimes known in Hankies circles "Big Al the enforcer".

If your ears were burning a fornight ago about 8pm it was Daniel and myself
discussing you!

Nice to see a post from you Alan!!
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby David Martin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:43 am

Don't you just love it when a topic stays "on :shock: topic"??
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby alanbakewell » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:01 am

David Martin wrote:Don't you just love it when a topic stays "on :shock: topic"??

I remember them.

"A Hazlenut in every bite" :D
alanbakewell

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"