Volume pedal

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Volume pedal

Postby Jeff1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi everyone,
I have been trying to perfect the use of a volume pedal in tunes such as Argentina and cavatina etc.
I have to say that im failing miserably to get anything like the right effect. Although I have no problem to keep on trying and training I am wondering if im missing something obvious about their use.
If anyone has any tips I would be most grateful for your advice.

Kind Regards
Jeff
Jeff1

Re: Volume pedal

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:09 pm

It's gonna be practise makes perfect but basically you pick then pump the pedal and without actually demoing with equipment it's hard to show how... try a Shadows club and find someone to help you ? You certainly have to learn how to feel your way with the vol pedal just as you do with the rest of your skills as a guitarist :lol:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby David Martin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:03 am

Part of the magic is in having a "pot" in the pedal with a smooth taper... Some (Morley springs to mind) tend to have everything happening in the last 1/8 of pedal travel. Ideally, you need to have one where you can play the note at half travel with reduced volume (but not no volume) then swell it to arrive at full volume at the correct time. This may mean striking the note a fraction sooner than an "unswelled" note...

Where are you?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Jeff1 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:56 am

Thank you for your reply's.
I will keep working on it as you suggest.
Im not sure if my volume pedal is up to the job . Its a Behringer . However i am sure that my skill level is low and so for now i will stick with it .
I am in Darlington David , Co Durham too far to get a lesson from you im afraid .
Thanks again, ill let you know how i get on .

Regards
Jeff
Jeff1

Postby David Martin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:11 pm

Jeff, the Tyneside Shadows Club is one of the best and there are guys there who will willingly show you the ropes. You don't need to be an expert either... really welcoming to new players...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby cvfilms » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi
I don't know if this is any use but I have just seen on EBay the type of volume pedal that Hank used for a number of years. Whether he still does or not I don't know but I have one of these and the sound is spot on. The pedal is a Boss FV-300H, EBay item number 220621512122.
cheers
Rob
cvfilms

Return to How To Get "That Sound"