That Sound - Flingel

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: That Sound - Flingel

Postby Garystrat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:12 am

Hi Wolfgang,

Well.... I took the punt and the initial impressions are very good, certainly different and complimentary to the other echo plugins that I have, thanks for the heads up!

Regards

Gary
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby dave robinson » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:38 pm

I managed to listen to Scott's files on Soundcloud and the timing is good, but the 'bunched up'' echoes aren't there.
I'll have my TVS3 here soon so I'll be able to try out Pauls patch first hand. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Garystrat » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:13 am

I have two instances of WavesFactory Echo Cat plugin in an Ableton Live “rack” running in parallel which gives me the option of using up to 6 heads (each with level adjustment), on all the controls I want to act in common as a single echo I assigned them to macros so both plugins synchronise those settings simultaneously. I then saved the whole “rack” as a hybrid echo for general use, which so far seems to work OK.
Garystrat

Full Real Name: Gary Willmott

Postby JimN » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:15 pm

abstamaria wrote:I don’t have a Burns. Should I play “Flingel” on the neck pickup on my Strat? I’m not to happy with the sound. I have 12-52 strings on. It seems to me Hank’s Burns had thinner-gauge strings when he recorded that.

Andy

Unlikely.

At least as late as 1967, Bruce, answering a reader's query in the music weekly "Melody Maker", said that The Shadows used Gibson Sonomatic strings [E-340] (13 - 17 - 26w - 36 - 46 - 56) on "...all our guitars". This probably meant that they had a deal with Selmer to be supplied with them FOC., but it is vanishingly unlikely that they would have changed to such a traditional medium gauge if they were used to, and had access to, light gauge sets. Light gauge strings, no matter what is sometimes claimed by players who wish to appear in the know, were neither widely known nor used in the UK until about 1967 (which is approximately when the well of knowledge about guitar components and set-ups started to be a factor in the industry).

Use of Sonomatics would have included the Marvins as well as the Gibson jumbos which were in use until 1970.

A few years later - this would be about 1970 - Hank, post-Shadows and answering another letter in the same paper, said that he used (a) Sonomatics, (b) Sonomatic light gauge [E-340L] (11 - 12 - 22w - 32 - 42 - 52) and that he was experimenting with (c) Fender Rock'n'Roll strings (which were very light for the age: 9-11-15-24w-32-40).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby abstamaria » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:49 am

Thank you, Jim. I had almost forgotten that query, written a year ago! But I appreciate your detailed reply. I’ve shared it with some of my friends here, who, in this age of very light strain gauges, will be astonished by the information.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:57 am

I thought it was worth resuscitating this thread to go alongside and compare with the “That Other Sound” thread of June 2023.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:27 pm

Hank was aware of the other guitarists throwing away the heavy sixth string and using the fifth as a sixth, fourth as a fifth etc up to the top ' E' which would be a banjo string, effectively giving him a 10/46 set.
I was doing it as early as 'early as '65 and I know I was late finding out about it, so who knows ?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Previous

Return to How To Get "That Sound"