patches for g3x

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: patches for g3x

Postby dave robinson » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:41 pm

It's ideal for taking away holiday for practicing, there's every sound you could wish to hear.
I can't help wondering why Vox don't re-design theirs and include the multi -tap editable echoes, as that would really be the icing on the cake.
I suppose I can answer my own question though, because it's blatantly obvious looking at all the demos of kit such as the Strymon Volante and other devices that offer the head configuration that is needed, not one of those demos utilises these machines in the way they were used by Hank and others at the time. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:18 am

dave robinson wrote:Having played with the Mighty Plug Pro for a few hours I can confirm that it is easy to use and various very pleasing Hank sounds can easily be programmed in using the Vox & Matchless Amps with Delay and Reverb and I'd be happy to gig with it even though the echoes can't be replicated as there isn't the facility of four heads, but I could do a job with it if that's all I had.
The sound quality on all effects is amazingly top notch and I'm pleased at I found it to add to my options for performing. What more can I say than I would recommend it to like minded people who enjoy the wonderful technology at our disposal. It does require a little knowledge and effort from the player, so that said , if you want everything on a plate and numbered, I'd give it a miss. ;)

There is already another open source app called Mightier-amp, that (so they say) improves, even further, the Nux programmability and various other settings. There's a discussion group on Farcebook (which I do not do).
https://github.com/tuntorius/mightier_amp
I have limited skills with computer programming etc. but the read ups seem to say that it is well liked by those "in the know" about these things! ;)
Mike
Shadbarmy1

Full Real Name: Mike Teaman

Postby TimRyland » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:36 pm

I loaded the Mightier Amp app onto my phone and it is definitely better than the Mighty Amp app. You can save more presets, create setlists for songs, and I believe it also supports MIDI commands via Bluetooth.

Unfortunately ParcelForce are dragging my delivery of the Mighty Plug Pro, but I’m hoping it will be here tomorrow.

Tim.
TimRyland

Full Real Name: Tim Ryland

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:24 pm

TimRyland wrote:I loaded the Mightier Amp app onto my phone and it is definitely better than the Mighty Amp app. You can save more presets, create setlists for songs, and I believe it also supports MIDI commands via Bluetooth.

Unfortunately ParcelForce are dragging my delivery of the Mighty Plug Pro, but I’m hoping it will be here tomorrow.

Tim.

I have no idea what MIDI commands are, so I Googled it and found some info including this "The MIDI messages are sent as a time sequence of one or more bytes (8 bits). The first byte is a STATUS byte, often followed by DATA bytes with additional parameters. A STATUS byte has bit 7 set to 1 and a DATA byte has bit 7 set to 0." :?
One word from me..................... Whoosh! Straight over my head and join the TA. (Technophobes anonymous)! :D
Shadbarmy1

Postby TimRyland » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:40 pm

Mike,

Basically it means you would be able to control your Mighty Plug with a floor controller, like an iRig Blueboard. This would allow you to switch effects in and out as you were playing.

Tim.
TimRyland

Postby TimRyland » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:09 pm

Well, must say I am impressed. Within a couple of minutes I had dialled in some acceptable Shadows Early and Modern sounds. Even more impressive was the early Cream tone for their Disraeli Gears period, pretty close to Claptons “Woman Tone”.

I’m going to have fun with this and I think I’ve only just scratched the surface.
TimRyland

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:47 pm

dave robinson wrote:Having played with the Mighty Plug Pro for a few hours I can confirm that it is easy to use and various very pleasing Hank sounds can easily be programmed in using the Vox & Matchless Amps with Delay and Reverb and I'd be happy to gig with it even though the echoes can't be replicated as there isn't the facility of four heads, but I could do a job with it if that's all I had.
The sound quality on all effects is amazingly top notch and I'm pleased at I found it to add to my options for performing. What more can I say than I would recommend it to like minded people who enjoy the wonderful technology at our disposal. It does require a little knowledge and effort from the player, so that said , if you want everything on a plate and numbered, I'd give it a miss. ;)

I take it that the Vox amp on the Mightier list is the "Class A30"? Which one is the Matchless? My list includes Jazz Clean, Deluxe Reverb, Twin Rvb, Class A30, Brit 800, 1987 x 50, Foreman HBE, Dual Rect, DIE VH4, (Bass) AGL, Starlift MLD and (Acoustic) Stageman. Apologies for newbie question but the old dog is doing his best to learn "new tricks"! :)

I've only just mastered how to download a QR code! :roll:

Apologies for hijacking an old thread. Maybe we should start a new Nux one? :?:
Shadbarmy1

Postby TimRyland » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:20 pm

Mike,

I’ve got the Mighty Plug Pro. On my amp list I think the closest to a Matchless is the Mr.Z 38. It is possible that there may be extra amps in the Pro version.

Tim.
TimRyland

Postby dave robinson » Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:47 pm

Sorry for confusing you Mike, when I made reference to the Matchless I was talking about the IR where you can choose a Matchless 2 x 12 cabinet which I paired with the Vox amp. The Matchless DC30 is basically a Vox AC30 made in the USA but more carefully assembled and with a hefty price tag. I did have a Matchless for a while and it did nothing to improve my playing or life, so I cashed it in and I went back to my Vox and Boogie. There's a lot of hype about stuff that Hank used and much of it was copied by people such as us and I made the decision to use what I wanted, rather than the gear that the Shadows fan base demanded and I never looked back.
The truth is in 1999 I already had a good sound and listened to too much crap on these sites and drifted off course. I became excited by all the new gear on offer and fell for some of it.
Luckily my common sense prevailed and I since rid myself of all things 'Hank according to anoraks' and sorted myself out. I have Paul Rossiter to thank for where I am now with my gear, simply because I listened, read, studied and made sensible decisions about my gear. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Shadbarmy1 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:31 pm

Thanks Dave that is good advice. I remember going to see The Beatles In Bradford (early 60's) and thinking "That didn't sound like the records!" :shock: It probably didn't help that I was surrounded by screaming girls who completely lost it by tune No. 3! It seems that the lads themselves also despaired at the "sound" they were producing during those "live" concerts but it didn't really matter to 99 % of the audience! :roll: I blame those girls for my tinnitus! Or is it background electronic hiss? :)
Shadbarmy1

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"