Getting 'that's sound! - Gemini pedal

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Getting 'that's sound! - Gemini pedal

Postby Los Kiosk Bears » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi people,
Paul here in Cambridge

I've not seen in mentioned in the discussions here, but I recently bought one of these pedals: www.gemini3.eu
It's called the Gemini III pedal and it is basically a 'hank marviniser' pedal. It seems to do something to the EQ and compression of the sound to approximate his original guitar sound. I was pretty impressed with the demo audio clips so I bought one a few months ago. I am really pleased with it, it works best against an appropriate backing track. Has anyone else tried one? (you still need a decent echo unit to use with it, I use an old Zoom echoes from the past ).

regards

Paul K
Los Kiosk Bears, Cambridge, UK
Los Kiosk Bears

Re: Getting 'that's sound! - Gemini pedal

Postby Didier » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:00 am

As far as I know, the Gemini III is a low cut active filter, much the same as the Ariab second version. It has been discussed on Charlie Hall's site.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby John Boulden » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:10 pm

I bought a Geminii last year and I reckon its a really good little piece of kit.

By filtering off bass tones it allows you to get that that raspy tone on the bass strings without losing the sweetness of the treble strings.
In other words. if you set your tone on the treble strings to be just right for M/8 of Shadoogie, say, the bass register will be too plummy and not raunchy enough. Geminii fixes that. If you haven't got the proper gear (US Strat, old Vox, Meazzi etc) it gets you pretty close to the sound...

John Boulden
John Boulden

Postby David JM » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Thanks, guys, for your unsolicited praise of the Gemini III... !!

As you know, my only source of advertising is on the two main Shads Forums, and relies on guitarists like yourselves to sing its praises.

They're still selling OK - not in droves, but as the word spreads, things may improve.

You may be interested to know that there are now some in Vietnam, Malaysia and Tasmania, as well as the obvious places like Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

Thanks again for your positive comments, greatly appreciated.

Regards, David JM
David JM

Postby sailor_m » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi - I bought one of these just after they went on sale last year and I'm VERY pleased with it. By the way for David JM, did you change the wiring for the external power supply socket as we discussed a while ago? I changed mine and it works well. Much better than using batteries!!!

I also use two Ibanez DE-7 echo/delay pedals in series with it - they enable me to get close to Hank's various types of echo.
sailor_m

Postby Dance with Shadows » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:11 pm

"You may be interested to know that there are now some in Vietnam, Malaysia and Tasmania, as well as the obvious places like Australia, New Zealand and Canada."

David, Tasmania is a state of Australia.

regards

Michael
Dance with Shadows

Full Real Name: Michael Brooks

Postby dograven » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:56 am

All

I bought one of these Gemini III pedals direct from David at his home and I think its a brilliant piece of kit well worth the money built as solid as a rock by a really nice guy, every body should get one. I also run mine through a Yamaha Magic Stomp loaded with the echos from the past program it certainly has got me closer to the sound I am after.

Edward
dograven

Postby AlanMcKillop » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:50 pm

I would agree, I picked one up on eBay (a bargain because most people wouldn't know what it was) and it goes particularly well with the Magicstomp. :thumbup:
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby echoman2 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:57 pm

David JM wrote:Thanks, guys, for your unsolicited praise of the Gemini III... !!

As you know, my only source of advertising is on the two main Shads Forums, and relies on guitarists like yourselves to sing its praises.

They're still selling OK - not in droves, but as the word spreads, things may improve.

You may be interested to know that there are now some in Vietnam, Malaysia and Tasmania, as well as the obvious places like Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

Thanks again for your positive comments, greatly appreciated.

Regards, David JM
echoman2

Full Real Name: Edward Flanagan

Return to How To Get "That Sound"