Graphic Equalizers...

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Graphic Equalizers...

Postby Strummer » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi all,

A question that has been bugging me for some time.

Does anyone know of, or, have experience of how good the Boss EQ-20 Graphic Equalizer Advanced Guitar Effects Pedal is? Is it as good as the old Boss EQ-10? Both are 10 Band I understand?

Your goodly advice is earnestly sought, thank you.

Strummer
Strummer

Re: Graphic Equalizers...

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:19 pm

I have one and they are quite good EQ pedals. They have 9 user memories and a manual mode as well. If you want to follow say Ronnie Gustavson this one is different eq bands to the one he uses. However a few at our club use the smaller Boss EQ 7 band pedal and get a great sound.

I might sell mine actually as I now use another type of EQ system these days which I prefer.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby anniv 63 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:25 pm

With regard to the Boss GE7 pedal, can anyone advise if it is effective in particular , to "rolling off"/mellowing the trebles on
the bridge pickup of basically any Strat that is a little bright in this department.?

Having had a 7 band equalizer on a Sony Hifi at one time, I guess its a similar principle?

Thanks
Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby dave robinson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:37 pm

anniv 63 wrote:With regard to the Boss GE7 pedal, can anyone advise if it is effective in particular , to "rolling off"/mellowing the trebles on
the bridge pickup of basically any Strat that is a little bright in this department.?

Having had a 7 band equalizer on a Sony Hifi at one time, I guess its a similar principle?

Thanks
Mike

I did a small mod on all of my Strats by linking the middle pickup tone control to the bridge pickup, allowing me to lose that 'spike' that is sometimes too trebly, though the later Strats do have a similar facility built in. That way I have no need of an external graphic EQ in the chain. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Didier » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:37 am

For those looking for a 10 band equaliser similar to the Boss EQ10, as demonstrated by Ronnie Gustafsson, theres is the MXR M108 with similar features : http://www.thomann.de/gb/mxr_m_108.htm

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby shadowtonio » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:39 am

hello strummer,

Now and then you can find a boss GE-10 for sale, I myself do have the GE-10 (analoque) equalizer, its very good and i do have some
presets for it.
The later ones i did not like, the sound became to digital, so i sold them after testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5cOLV_fci4

cheers, tonio 8-)
shadowtonio

Full Real Name: Tonio Kooijman

Postby Strummer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:17 am

shadowtonio wrote:hello strummer,

Now and then you can find a boss GE-10 for sale, I myself do have the GE-10 (analoque) equalizer, its very good and i do have some
presets for it.
The later ones i did not like, the sound became to digital, so i sold them after testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5cOLV_fci4

cheers, tonio 8-)

Hello shadowtonio,

So, are you saying the GE-10 is the best one to obtain? Will the MX108 be just as good, or, is that another one you have discounted as being right?

I am in the market for a Graphic Equalizer, but, tobe honest am confused and thoght that the original (GE-10) might be the best way to go?

Your comments are most welcome.

Kind regards

Strummer
Strummer

Postby shadowtonio » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:41 pm

hello strummer,

Well I dont know the MX108, so i cannot say anything about that device, I just see that our friend Ronnie has a very good vintage sound
He is also a very nice guy, in Holland he was visiting the dutch Cliff and the Shadowsmeeting in Tilburg, I was there in the demoroom.
He is very open about his sound and his equipment, I very much like that, he is also a very good player.

regards, tonio 8-)

i
shadowtonio

Full Real Name: Tonio Kooijman

Postby dave robinson » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:54 am

Looking at the MXR 10 band graphic it has the same ten sliders as the old Boss 10 band as far as frequencies are concerned.
The new Boss 10 band has different frequencies. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:01 am

American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"