Zoom G3X

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Zoom G3X

Postby neil2726 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:09 am

This is far to complicated for me - think I will stick with my Catalinbread Echorec! :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby dave robinson » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:37 pm

neil2726 wrote:This is far to complicated for me - think I will stick with my Catalinbread Echorec! :D

The Catalinbread is great if all you want is a good echo. I get great results with mine when I use it, but I use the Zoom for other things too so it suits my needs. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Ryan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:31 pm

dave robinson wrote:I don't know what HDMP is so I'd leave that alone. Did you know you can move patches around and edit them in another location, leaving the original where it is untouched ?. :)

Hi Yes i did know that, i've put your patches on twice anyway so i can mess around with 1 set and not lose the originals.
I haven't had chance to mess about with it today, so i will be doing it through the week and try and record a track or 2, if it all goes to plan. I will post a link if successful :lol:
Cheers
Ryan
Ryan

Postby dave robinson » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:48 pm

Lovely, I'll look forward to that Ryan. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:26 pm

Just noticed that the Zoom G5 has a four way pedal like the DeArmond. :P Has anybody tried one ? Does it possibly do the BASS to TREBLE left to right ?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:10 pm

I did a bit more experimenting and with careful use of the EQ on the reverb, it can really excite the overall echo sound in a patch in a similar way to what we hear on some records. The pre-delay needs to be set at 72ms and then twiddle the EQ a little, I roll the bass off a little, I add the reverb until I can just hear it using the mix control. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:51 pm

dave robinson wrote:Just noticed that the Zoom G5 has a four way pedal like the DeArmond. :P Has anybody tried one ? Does it possibly do the BASS to TREBLE left to right ?

I believe the earlier Zoom G9 could control some amp tone controls and was capable of it but not sure about the G5 as manual is not too clear on this.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby dave robinson » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:28 pm

Well I'm delighted with what the G3 offers and can honestly say that pound for pound it's the best of the bunch by far out of it's type, from the use I've had from it so far. If the G5 could deliver a satisfactory DeArmond volume and tone sweep, it would be utopia because I've always liked the sound it gives right from my days with Dave Berry when I used one for The Crying Game. Add to that the stuff Hank used it for and there's some good stuff that could be replicated at not too much of an expense. I have a real DeArmond 610 but it has to be used with a cable as the left to right tone function won't work using a wireless system. If I can get my hands on one I will investigate, but I don't want one if it doesn't do that job. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:07 am

Well thanks to a good friend Tony Parnham, I will be able to try the Zoom G5 later today as he has generously offered his for my perusal. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:26 pm

Well I tried the G5 and it does what the G3 does but the pedal isn't geared up for what I was looking for, so I guess I'll be sticking with the G3. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"