Noisy Etap2 machines

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Noisy Etap2 machines

Postby Twang46 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Could be as simple as the fact that more care is taken "on stage" with placement/cables/quality of components than when "in the shed" interested to hear how you get on.

As Ecca says especially with single coil guitars there's all kinds of interference just waiting to show itself, the strings do make quite a good aerial you know :)

Can you be more specific about the noise Dave ?

Is it mains hum, is it constant or modulating, is it rustling/hash type noises, is it a hissing type noise ?

You could try pulling then re-seating the valves in the etap, costs nothing & might just throw up something

Dick.

You didn't mention the DeArmond pedal, good to hear there's some progress.
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby ecca » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:30 pm

One of the worst offenders in the house is the fluorescent tube, worsened if it's getting on a bit, or to be accurate, the choke that's in the lamp fitting.
ecca

Postby dave robinson » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:11 pm

It isn't as bad with the DeArmond out of the loop, but with the Catalinbread there's no noise even when the DeArmond in connected. The noise is a buzz, like when you unplug the lead from the guitar and touch the end with you finger, but not as loud. When my new Zoom G3 arrives I'll see if it behaves in the same way.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Bojan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:18 am

dave robinson wrote:It isn't as bad with the DeArmond out of the loop, but with the Catalinbread there's no noise even when the DeArmond in connected. The noise is a buzz, like when you unplug the lead from the guitar and touch the end with you finger, but not as loud. When my new Zoom G3 arrives I'll see if it behaves in the same way.

I found that when my ceiling ventilator was turned on there was a lot of noise and even the sound became slightly warped, but as soon as I discovered the problem everything was OK. Mine is a regular eTap2hw, not an Eccamatic . . . Also, one time my wife turned on a kitchen appliance, I forget which one, and that also made a lot of noise . . . so perhaps there is something interfering from another electrical source and plugging into a different wall socket might make some difference.
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby dave robinson » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:43 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, but out of all the kit I have the Etap is the only one with the problem. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Twang46 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:35 am

Does sound like a mains "hum" to me Dave.

Does your power supply have all 3 pins metal contacts & not just a plastic peg instead of the earth pin to lift the shroud on the wall socket ?

As you say everything else is quiet enough using the same setup so that should rule out your setup.

If you pull the guitar lead from the input socket of the etap, does the noise stop ?

And finally, can you record this "noise" by any chance ?

Dick.
Twang46

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:40 am

The problem of noise in guitar effects pedals is all too common and one of the best ways of dealing with it is to get a top notch power unit which Isolates and deals with ground loops and noise can come from the PSU itself.

Here is an ad for the Voodoo Labs PSU and it describes how it is better than other PSUs at this job and the reasons why. There are other similar units available at cheaper price points out there and some come up on UTube on test.

I have just got a 1Spot PSU as recommended by Stanleyeffects for the eTap2HW and I will try it out tonight to see if it is better than the Maplins one I was using.

Another solution is a noise gate pedal at the end of your chain.

http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Twang46 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:50 am

Hi Roger

Daves unit needs an AC power supply

Pedals like the Stanley you mention use the standard DC voltage type of supply.

A noise gate may well help Dave. (I'm sure he will have one to try), but he shouldn't need to use it for a simple chain such as he uses.

Dick.

ps...............the Stanley pedal works really well on 12v. Check with Mick & he'll confirm that.
Twang46

Postby dave robinson » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:56 am

I've never in over forty years of playing need a noise gate and I don't intend to use one now. I'll stick to the kit that works without it.
That said, I had a blast this morning with my Etap using quality cables and without the DeArmond 610 and the noise was minimal.
On stage I may experiment with the effects SEND & RETURN on the Boogie. That should clean it up. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:34 pm

Delighted to tell everyone that my noise problem is no more. :)
I hooked up to my Boogie SEND & RETURN and the silence is golden whilst the sound is to die for ! :thumbup:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

PreviousNext

Return to How To Get "That Sound"