Reverb

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Reverb

Postby doubler » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi Guys

I am trying to find a rack mounted reverb/echo unit for emulating THAT SOUND however, I am on a medium sized budget but, can utilize equipment I have gathered together over the years ie , Line 6 jam amp-----Laney AOR 30-------Behringer V-amp 3 and various digital multi track recorders (even got two old Cassette multi tracker).
Guitars range from Mexico and Squire strats to vintage Hofners and Watkins guitars.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Regards
Roger
doubler

Re: Reverb

Postby JimN » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:54 pm

To faithfully emulate the reverb on those old Shadows records, you ideally need a unit which replicates the reverb pattern of the echo chamber used in conjunction with EMI Studio 2.

This means that you need a mono-in, stereo-out unit, with a patch designed for the purpose. It will be called "Abbey Road Reverb", or "EMT Plate", or something like that.

I have an idea that one of Charlie Hall's patches fills that bill, as does one of Geoff Strachan's "Sounds Like The Shadows" patches.

The real problem today is finding the hardware to run them. The Yahama Magicstomp can do it (believe it or not).

It may also be that one of the more professional units (Lexicon or similar) has an Abbey Road setting.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby doubler » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi Jim

I have been scouring the internet for units such as Alesis/Lexicon/Yamaha etc. The problem is when coming to read the reviews. Their opinions vary on each unit, from absolute rubbish to, the best thing since sliced bread. I did try and find the Yamaha Magicstomp but, they are hard to find and, if you do find them, can be over priced.
Maybe I will look again at the Lexicon and Alesis.

Thank You for replying

Regards
Roger
doubler

Postby RogerCook » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:07 pm

The Quadraverbs (except the basic Quad with the earliest chip) and Magicstomps can run Charlie Hall's EFTP patches and also Piet Verbruggen's Echotapper patches. They sometimes come up on Ebay. There is a MS currently for sale here --http://shadowmusic.bdme.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10598

There is also the Etap hardware echo which can be built from a kit if you are technically savvy or you may be able to purchase a ready assembled unit via the Etap pages on this board.

Any of the above will get you in the ball park for the sound (with of course, the obligatory red guitar, valve amp and the right fingers :D ).

As well as the specific guitar echo, reverb was probably added by the studio as Jim says, so you might want to look at the possibility of adding this as well, possibly by adding a reverb unit after the echo. I'm sure the studio engineers tweaked the EQ, added compression and other things to the overall production.
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby doubler » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:49 am

Hi Roger (Cook)

I am looking at the Alesis quadraverbs but, there are quite a few models to check out and reviews to be read. As for building one, I am not dextrous enough for that.
The magicstomp is another option but, they are either hard to find or, at best, overpriced. I believe the Lexicon 2000(or is it 200?) has echo and reverb built in?
The red guitar is no problem, the fingers will ALMOST do what I tell them to :lol: .
Anyway, I will persist and, I am sure with help from members such as yourself and others, will achieve the correct results.

Thank You Again

Regards
Roger (Silcox)
doubler

Postby RogerCook » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:38 am

The conventional wisdom for the Quads is (in descending order, so best first) Q20, Q2, Quad GT, plain Quadraverb (which must have the version 2 chip to run EFTP). The GT seems to be a basic plain Quad but with a guitar specific preamp. I have a Q2 and a Magicstomp. I marginally prefer the Q2 but the MS is small and convenient. I had a plain Quad which produced good echoes but which was noisy, especially at gig volume.

I've built a few ETAPs which I've since sold, though I have the parts to build another. I like the sounds from it. It lacked automation and "programability" so it was a bit inconvenient to use live. This has changed now with automated patch selection having become available so it will find a place in my rack alongside the Q2.

I can't speak about the other units available from direct experience.

You should also note that Charlie Hall is developing an echo unit which will hopefully be available later this year.

Good luck!
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby doubler » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:15 am

Hi roger
That was very useful indeed. I am unfamiliar with any of the quadraverbs so, having someone like yourself, passing on his knowledge is very useful. I don't have a massive budget so, I will acquire the best I can afford. I did read about Charlie's up coming system but, alas, I would expect it to be way out of my spending ability right now :cry:
Never mind, I will soldier on in true Brit fashion and, eventually an acceptable sound. All I need now is an injection of Hankability juice.

Thank you again

Regards

Roger
doubler

Postby Tab » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:23 am

Hi Roger

You don't show your location but if possible try to get to one of the Clubs. You can see and hear first hand other echo units and talk to members who, quite probably between them, have tried every unit ever created.

Kind regards
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby doubler » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi Terry

My location is the God forsaken town of Yate, in South Gloucestershire :D . Unfortunately, I don't know of any such clubs in the near vicinity. Further to that, I am a 24/7 carer for an elderly relative. My movements outside the home are somewhat restricted.
What time I have to myself is taken up with my music. It keeps me sane( well, relatively so). My research is confined to advice from guys such as yourself and, internet reviews, I am very grateful for both.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and advise.

Kind Regards

Roger
doubler

Postby keithmantle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:00 pm

JimN wrote:To faithfully emulate the reverb on those old Shadows records, you ideally need a unit which replicates the reverb pattern of the echo chamber used in conjunction with EMI Studio 2.

This means that you need a mono-in, stereo-out unit, with a patch designed for the purpose. It will be called "Abbey Road Reverb", or "EMT Plate", or something like that.

I have an idea that one of Charlie Hall's patches fills that bill, as does one of Geoff Strachan's "Sounds Like The Shadows" patches.

The real problem today is finding the hardware to run them. The Yahama Magicstomp can do it (believe it or not).

It may also be that one of the more professional units (Lexicon or similar) has an Abbey Road setting.

I think Justin uses his M/S just for the EFTP Abbey Rd Reverb with his Meazzi echomatic/AC15 TV front
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Next

Return to How To Get "That Sound"