Swell Sound

Loads of accumulated experience

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Swell Sound

Postby doubler » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi Everyone

I have been a fan of the Shadows for most of my 65 years. I play guitar though, not well. I'm trying to get the SWELL sound that Hank gets with a volume pedal. Ok, I know I need to PRACTICE but, do I set the minimum volume to zero on the pedal or, maybe to a volume just audible?
I would also be interested in obtaining some of the backing tracks for some of the Hank Plays Andrew Lloyd Webber music.

Thanks in anticipation

doubler(roger) ;)
doubler

Re: Swell Sound

Postby noelford » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi Roger and welcome to the forum. I think a lot depends on the pedal - I use a Morley which doesn't give an even increase in volume throughout the sweep of the pedal (which is fine – and my preference – once you are used to it), and set the minimum to around 10-0-clock (somewhere between a third and a half way round). As you already realise, with a swell pedal, like anything else, it's constant practice that will develop the correct technique. Getting the pedalling right is similar to learning to ride a bike and once you get it it will come naturally (er... most of the time!)

Cheers

Noel
noelford

Postby JimN » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:46 pm

Hank's original 1960s pedal, the DeArmond 610, was not (and still is not) capable of starting from zero volume.

I fact, the swell effect does not sound musical if it starts at zero. On my Boss (volume-only) pedal with a minimum volume-setting pot, I find that position 2 (20%) gives the nearest approximation to the DeArmond swell profile.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Tab » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:32 am

Hi Roger,

I too use a Boss volume pedal and like Jim, I find the '2' position gives the desired effect. Get used to depressing the pedal as you pluck the string - it comes naturally with a little practice.

Visit the Leo's den web site where most of the backing tracks can be found including some of the Lloyd-Weber songs.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby doubler » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:56 am

Hey
Thank you all the guys that answered my question regarding my swell sound. I use something similar to a Morley, that has a minimum volume setting. As you say, practice practice, practice. I do have an original early De Armond volume/wah pedal. It is very heavy and, too slow responding to be any good.
I'm sure I will be enjoying many chats with you guys and, thank you for the welcome.

Regards-=-=-=-=-=-=-Roger
doubler

Postby rogera » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:38 am

The only thing that I would add to the replies already made is that generally you need to pick the note before the point at which you want the note to sound in order that it fades in.

Roger as a user of a DeArmond 610 I don't know why you say that it is too slow in responding. I agree that it is heavy, but once placed on the floor that is not a concern and it responds just as quickly as other foot volume pedals.
There is also the fact that even with the pedal fully rotated clockwise to give the most treble it does change the tone of the signal in a way that is necessary to replicate the sound achieved when Hank was using one.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby doubler » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:53 am

Hi Rogera
Thanks for the info regarding the DeArmond. I suppose I really haven't given it a good go. I bought it when I bought my Fender Marvin(Mexico ) Strat, a few years ago. I wrote to Gary(Taylor) many moons ago and, he told me that Hank used the DeArmond 610 for many years. I am determined to get a sound as close as I can to "The Master". At 65 I realise there is still much to learn but, can any of you guys think of a better, more enjoyable way to spend your retirement days?(scuse me, you younger guys).
Incidentally, are any of the Welsh eambers living anywhere near Llantwit Major or Cowbridge? I spent my teens there and, even after nearly fifty years away, still miss the area and the people(except my old headmaster that is).
Ok, thanks again guys.

Regards==-=-=-=-=--=-=Roger
doubler

Postby Detailed Infinity » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:17 pm

I can't get on with these new fangled pedals. The D'derailleur model takes the chain off when pedalling backward, not like the good old Sturmey Archer model. ;)
Detailed Infinity

Postby doubler » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Yeah, nice one detailed infinity. Like the humour you often find on muso sites. Hate to be SADDLED with a humourless chatter.

Regards-==-=-=-=-=--Roger
doubler

Return to How To Get "That Sound"