Next Surrey Shadows Club Meeting 18th February

The Surrey Shadows Club welcomes everyone to their musical evenings, whether you sing, play guitar, bass, keyboards or drums. We have a full backline sponsored by Breakthru', our resident backing band for the meetings.

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Next Surrey Shadows Club Meeting 18th February

Postby Bob Withrington » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Another great evening in prospect. Not to be missed.

Bob Withrington
on behalf of the SSC Management Team
Bob Withrington

Re: Next Surrey Shadows Club Meeting 18th February

Postby RayL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:40 pm

The success of the Surrey Club is good, but it raises a question - is it becoming too popular? The number of people who want to play (19 or 20 at the last meeting) means there is increasingly a 'production line' (in quick, play, off quick) to allow everyone their first turn and then a later and later finish to even allow one number next time round.

For January meeting I packed my 6-string bass, intending to do some Jet Harris numbers, but left it in the car when I saw the length of the list.

It has to be said that the quality of the playing has improved by leaps and bounds over the three years that the club has been running so it is not surprising that people want to have the chance to demonstrate their new skills and newly-learnt numbers.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but does anyone else feel the same?

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Bob Withrington » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:21 am

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your helpful comments. You make a very good point about the numbers of players attracted to perform at Surrey Shadows Club and the difficulty sometimes to give everyone a chance to play at least four numbers. A prompt 7:30 start has helped but the SSC Management Team are always ready to receive positive ideas of how we can improve.

Do please bring along your 6 string bass on Friday. We will all enjoy hearing some Jet Harris numbers.

Cheers,

Bob
Bob Withrington

Postby ShadsDrums » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:15 pm

Perhaps one of the ways to resolve is to have two meetings each month, or the occasional Sunday meeting?
ShadsDrums

Full Real Name: Chris Kenward

Return to Surrey