Last Friday...

The Surrey Shadows Club welcomes everyone to their musical evenings, whether you sing, play guitar, bass, keyboards or drums. We have a full backline sponsored by Breakthru', our resident backing band for the meetings.

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Last Friday...

Postby John Boulden » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:40 pm

Some nice comments on the previous thread....it was a really good night. The band were superb all night. We all really enjoyed it. The standard just seems to keep going up and up.

On a personal note: I must explain to the boys in the band not to take too much notice of me ranting and raving in front of the stage shouting at people to get going like some deranged bandmaster. I don't mean to annoy anybody its just that I see an audience waiting for something to happen and the performer in me just wants to give them something. Sometimes I forget its a club first and performance second. The audience haven't paid - they come only to be part of the evening and we don't actually owe them a slick, professional show.

So forgive me if I upset any of the band. I love you all and we have a great time!

If anything, what really drives me is the fact that we have 12 or 13 players and some of them come a long way. It's so important as a club to give them at least a chance of playing four numbers, which means getting everyone on twice. So time management is crucial. Also at the same time. I'm trying to think of things to say, get the settings right for the next player etc etc so I do get a bit ragged...

So, apologies boys. Don't mean it.

Incidentally, several players commented on the sound they got on Friday. My little Sound City amp seems to be delivering the goods, especially since we miked it up a bit through the PA. Real good vintage tone. Very happy with that!

Anyway thanks again band - great show.

John Boulden
John Boulden

Re: Last Friday...

Postby ShadsDrums » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi John

You didn't upset a soul. We all know why you rush about making sure everything is perfect and it's the reason that the Surrey Shadows Club is possibly the very best Shadows Club in the land. Keep doing what you're doing - please!

Friday was exceptional. Roll on MANY more!

Cheers
Chris
ShadsDrums

Full Real Name: Chris Kenward

Postby John C » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:15 am

Just a few comments regarding John Boulden's, totally unnecessary, apology for getting people up quicker to play. We all love you John anyway so don't worry about it but I really agree that players should be standing 'in the wings' ready to play as someone finishes their second number. Time dictates how many numbers we each can do in a night and the quicker we change over the more chance we have of doing at least 4 and sometimes, who knows, even a fifth. Starting the evening on time is another thing which could have given us another 10 minutes at Hersham last week!

Regarding the night - yes ... another great time was had by all. I keep hearing good comments about the standard getting higher and higher. Particularly liked 'Theme from 'Missing' which John B played near the end and ... wasn't big John's singing great on those slow Cliff songs? .. 'Miss you nights', 'Constantly' etc ...

John C
John C

Postby OLDEREK » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:34 am

It's always a pleasure to attend the Surrey Club..........With John Boulden in charge you know it's going to be a great night, I like the way he cares about us players getting up to play as much as possible, as far as I'm concerned he his the perfect M C, and one of the reasons the club has become such a success, so no more apologies just keep cracking that whip we love it !!

And yes that little Amp gave out a great sound all evening............. :D
OLDEREK

Postby John Boulden » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:23 am

Derek, Chris and John C,

Thankyou guys so much for those kind comments.

By the sound of it most people understand and like what I do, so next time I thought I would really go for it and turn up in my SS uniform with black leather gloves and overcoat - that way everyone will get the message about being ready on time.

Thanks again boys,

John B
John Boulden

Postby ShadsDrums » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 am

Err.... John Boulden.... in leather...?? Why am I worried!? :D
ShadsDrums

Full Real Name: Chris Kenward

Return to Surrey