So sad news

The Surrey Shadows Club welcomes everyone to their musical evenings, whether you sing, play guitar, bass, keyboards or drums. We have a full backline sponsored by Breakthru', our resident backing band for the meetings.

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

So sad news

Postby shadowmaniacs » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:49 am

We just know that Bob Withrington passed away yesterday.
All the french members of Fan Club " SHADOWMANIACS" are totally devastated.
We had our annual meeting last saturday , at Ch'tishads, close to Lille and were so happy to meet our british friends from SSC and others who joined the SSC team.

Bob asked me 6 years ago to make a twinning between SSC & Shadowmaniacs, that was the very first time such a collaboration was set up with a french Fan Club since ....1960 !!
I was so happy and we thought together that we lost so long time to do it before !!
We had so many years of friendly relationship together, that Bob & Charlotte, Bruce, Carol became so close good friends.

All my friends who were attending our last meeting are joining me to tell you that we send to SSC members our true condolences in such bad day.

RIP Bob, we'll never forget you.

Michel
bob.jpg
(206.7 KiB) Downloaded 13247 times
Bassist on french bands SHOTGUN Ltd. ( Shadows cover band ) & APOLLO 11 ( Spotnicks cover band ).
shadowmaniacs

Full Real Name: Michel HENAUX

Re: So sad news

Postby Didier » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:19 pm

It's terrible news, I have met Bob several times, either at the Surrey Shadows Club or at the Ch'tiShads meeting in France, and I was pleased to meet him again there last week.
Condolences to Charlotte and family.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby AlanMcKillop » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:44 pm

So very sad to read this.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Martyn » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:51 am

Really sad and totally unexpected - Bob and Charlotte were due to visit the South West Shadows club at Exeter this afternoon, where Bob was planning to play with us again.
A wonderful character who will be sorely missed by all who knew him and our hearts go out to Charlotte.

Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby JimTidmarsh » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:39 pm

RIP Bob.
He was a lovely man who I only met a few times but he always welcomed me like a long lost friend. It was his support & encouragement that led to The Shades very successful appearance at Ch'tishads 2014 as representatives of the Surrey Club.
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby 47guitarman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:55 pm

What sad news.
I met Bob quite a few times at various clubs and events.
He was a really nice bloke and a very enthusiastic Shadows fan who will be missed by all who knew him.
My condolences to his family.
Dave
47guitarman

Full Real Name: Dave Moore

Postby spencer » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:14 pm

I was phoned Friday evening that Bob had passed,it was a total shock,he visited our club many times. A part from that we used to meet up at The Heritage Foundation,which represents our Bomber boys. Bob always made you feel welcome no matter where ever you meet him.
My condolences to Charlotte and family,Bob will be missed by all.
Spence.
Kent Shadows Music Club.
spencer

Postby SJB » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:51 pm

This was quite a shock.
Chris and I feel heavily for Sharlotte and the rest of Bob's family.

I have only known Bob for a relatively short while - 18 months or so. Bob persuaded me to play at the Surrey Club - which has been great.
He made sure I had a Surrey Shadows Club shirt.

Bob suggested that I go to Shadowmania this year - which I did.
I consulted him as I was concerned for me to play was a bit too much too early as I have only been performing for 10 months.
Bob replied - If I can suffer a nervous breakdown playing - so can you! - then he laughed. I missed the Friday evening list - but played Saturday morning.

Last Wednesday Chris and I were with Bob and Charlotte in Waterlooville in the Weathespoons Pub before going into the Hero's Pub - the South Coast Shadows Club.
Bob played well that night.

Bob will be missed.

Stuart and Chris (South Coast Shadows Club)
SJB

Full Real Name: Stuart J Best

Postby ade » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:10 pm

Following up on what Martyn said,there was a huge gap at the South West Shadows Club today as Bob was due to pay one of his regular visits to us in Exeter. His smile, humour, playing and distinctive Red Burns will be greatly missed.

Our thoughts are with Charlotte and family.

Adrian
ade

Full Real Name: Adrian John Newson

Postby TeresaTheDrummer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:31 pm

Just wanted to say how sad I am to hear of the passing of our dear Bob. Sadly I only had the pleasure of knowing him for a year or so but he was an amazing person, who would always come and talk to me and make me feel welcome. Such a great man, I will miss him dearly for his personally, his smile, his playing and of course his red burns guitar.

Love to charlotte and the family, there's a huge hole in the Shad community that will never be filed.

RIP dear friend,

Love Teresa
TeresaTheDrummer

Return to Surrey