ShadowMusic - future of this website

Looking for either a home or the bin

Re: ShadowMusic - the future of this website

Postby AlanMcKillop » 01 Feb 2024, 14:14

Sadly I agree the time has come to wrap things up but keeping an archive if possible, would be a good idea. Other than Robbo’s update on cheaper gear etc, there are not a lot of new interesting topics as most is already known to the hard core fans.
It’s been a great ride since the late 90’s MSN site and chat room and a lot of friendships forged over the years and for that, I’m extremely grateful.
AlanMcKillop

Postby Joeland-CH » 02 Feb 2024, 19:35

Hello everyone
I've been a member of this site since 2009 (turning 68 this year). During this time I have learnt a lot about our heroes. But I have also made many friends. Some at concerts and then met them again here. And we were able to exchange ideas.
As a non-English speaker, it wasn't always easy for me to contribute to certain posts, as I had to use an online translator to create each post. I'm sure there are a few others who feel the same way. But I really appreciate and value the work of the administrators and would be delighted if the site could continue to exist. Someone wrote that as long as there are still original members of the Shads, you shouldn't close it yet. On the other hand, I can of course understand the admins, there is a lot of work involved. And it's all voluntary work.
Best wishes, Roland
Joeland-CH

Postby Timcooper555 » 03 Feb 2024, 09:37

Hi All,

Just to add my thanks to all involved in this site.
I’ve enjoyed it very much over the years.

Would respect whatever decision was made in the future of it.

Tim.
Timcooper555

Postby RayL » 03 Feb 2024, 14:45

There has been some talk in this thread about a transfer to Facebook. Mark Zuckerberg's ragtag empire (Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram, etc) have shown themselves to be tainted by the dark side of society. Likewise Elon Musk's X (formerly Twitter) is also tainted by its lack of moderation. The Moderators on this site do a fine job. They are all committed enthusiasts who play the music and can head off the sort of content that sullies 'social media'.

If this site has to close, and become an archive, then that archive (of all matters to do with The Shadows) should have an index (a mammoth task for anyone).

As the owner of eight 'Burns Family' instruments (Burns, Baldwin, Shergold, Alden) I would be sad to see the Burns threads disappear.
Ray
RayL

Postby Teflon » 03 Feb 2024, 21:14

RayL wrote:....... Mark Zuckerberg's ragtag empire (Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram, etc) have shown themselves to be tainted by the dark side of society. Likewise Elon Musk's X (formerly Twitter) is also tainted by its lack of moderation. The Moderators on this site do a fine job. They are all committed enthusiasts who play the music and can head off the sort of content that sullies 'social media'. .........

Probably worth mentioning that any group on Facebook can be moderated by the group admins in much the same way that this forum is moderated. Indeed, Jim Nugent (from this very site) runs an excellent Facebook Group referencing The Shadows albums, which is tightly moderated and thus untainted by any of the nonsense that plagues much of social media. If this site should move across to Facebook, I wouldn't let that necessarily put you off. :)

Cliff
Teflon

Postby hiffclall » 07 Feb 2024, 12:21

I'm a newbie to this group (less than a year I think) . I've found it incredibly useful as I started rediscovering the shadows after leaving them behind for a while since my youth. I wouldn't have my current burns guitar without this site. I also wouldn't have "met" so many with similar interests and found out such amazing info (that I wish I knew back in the 80s when I was trying to be the next Hank Marvin (with mostly the wrong kit))

I will be very very sad if it closes. I completely understand the reasons but if there's any way to keep it going.....

Unfortunately my work is still very busy (media composer) . If I was retired I'd offer to take it on ...if you can hang on a few more years (and assuming the next couple of UK governments don't raise the retirement age any further)......
hiffclall

Postby Fenderman » 07 Feb 2024, 15:21

My second shock in 24 hours.
Just noticed this, a real shame but i understand we're all older and the band no longer exist and there's nothing new to say. I would hope they reconsider but i will respect the decision to close the site but maybe leave it available as an archive would be an idea.
Fenderman

Postby abstamaria » 08 Feb 2024, 05:59

To me, 1964 marked the end of the classic Shadows era, the period in which That Sound resided. 2024 is its 60th anniversary, so perhaps it is time to close the forum to further posts. Iain wrote that there is nothing to be said that hasn't already been said here. That is probably true.

I intend, as long as I can, to keep the Fender guitars, Vox amps, and echoes I selected with much care over many years, following advice obtained solely from this forum. They are aspirational things for me, and I find much joy in having and using them. And of course I hope to remain enthusiastically in the impossible quest four That Sound.

Yesterday, three hours of the annual classic rock festival were dedicated to early instrumental "combo" music. No vocals. A group started the event with a great cover of the Fen tones' The Mexican. Instrumental music was 90% Shadows. The little "1960s combo instrumentals only" group we began last year has more members now, mostly amateur guitarists in their 70s. Interest in playing the old tunes is reviving. Those are good signs and perhaps suggest that this forum should be kept open a little while longer.

In any event, if the forum were kept accessible, even sans new posts, that will be a valuable service. As I mentioned here many times, I find much enjoyment (and information) in re-reading the old threads, particularly when we were all contributing so enthusiastically.

Facebook is not bad at all, and many special-interest groups use it with much success, including on subjects as ancient history, old Lotus cars, and art-deco architecture. Jim Nugent's very interesting curated Shadows album page is on Facebook. There are many other Shadows-focused pages on Facebook, and it will be good still to have a central one under Shadowmusic.

I wish to express my sincere gratitude to Bob, Iain, David, Dave and George, and all who helped maintain the forum. All I know about the Shadows, their guitars, what amp to get, how to play, and so on is because of this site. Well done, and thank you.

Andy
Manila
abstamaria

Postby drakula63 » 08 Feb 2024, 15:05

Very sad to hear this. I first joined the forum in about the year 2000, or possibly a year or so earlier.

Always enjoyed being part of it and had great experiences and made some good contacts as a result.

I don't really have any suggestions I'm afraid. All I will say is that it has been an essential and invaluable resource and it will be a terrible shame to see it disappear.
drakula63

Postby AlanH » 10 Feb 2024, 23:31

Yes this is very sad news.....but I agree it is time to quit.
The band have retired, I am almost as old as Hank, and my fingers no longer co-operate with my brain. I will not be buying any more gear, but I still like reading the reports from Dave when he tests new pedals etc.
Sadly there is nothing new to chat about, but I still look in most days. More out of habit than anything. It has been a very enjoyable 20 years, or maybe more.
Lets face it, all good things come to an end.
Best wishes to all,
Alan H
AlanH

PreviousNext

Return to Various old postings