Backing tracks

Information about availability of backing tracks

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Backing tracks

Postby jimt855 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi all, hope everyone is safe and well.

Is there a way of creating my own backing tracks from any tracks from The Shadows music CDs

Thanks
Jim
jimt855

Full Real Name: James Tyler

Re: Backing tarcks

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:23 pm

Depends.

You need the stereo version and anti-phase software.

The early numbers were done in ping-pong stereo with the lead on one side: the other side will often serve as a mono BT.

Latterly, if the lead is approximately central, the left side in phase plus the right side out of phase will cancel out the middle and leave you with what wasn’t central. Results vary. It may work in stereo but mono is more likely.

I imagine all the tracks where it works have been done!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Re: Backing tarcks

Postby Fenderbomb1105 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:44 pm

Hi,

I recently learned how to make backing tracks from audio files using Band-In-A-Box. Great bit of kit, worth investing in plus loads of tutorials on youtube.

Paul
Fenderbomb1105

Full Real Name: Paul George

Re: Backing tracks

Postby jonmoi » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:30 am

iZotope RX8 does a very good job in splitting an audio file in to to stems of vocal,bass, drums and 'other'. You would not use the 'other' or vocal stems and then just add your own rhythm guitar. Steinberg's Spectral 8 says it can create a stem from a piano as well

I've tried RX8 but not Spectral yet

Regards

Jon
jonmoi

Full Real Name: Jon de Wiele

Postby Teflon » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:16 am

If you have a Facebook account, there's a group that well worth joining called "Shadow Music Backing Tracks". The group owner posts a couple of new tracks each week, and there are currently around 90 or so tracks available. He takes requests as well. I should add, the group has nothing to do with me (other than being a member). I tried removing Hanks lead from tracks myself, but the results weren't pretty! :D

Cliff

N.B. Hope it's in order to plug FB groups here, if not, please feel free to delete my post
Teflon

Full Real Name: Cliff Bradley

Postby JohanDeGreyze » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:48 am

Hi Teflon,

It's me the guy who runs that Facebook group, my name is Jan Woestenburg, Johan De Greyze is an alias.
It contains about 180 backing tracks mostly from Shadows originals.

I have been using iZotope RX7, which is a pretty good program, but Spectra Layers Pro 8 has just some extra. In combination with Roland R-Mix (Cakewalk Sonar plugin) it is good for a lot of successful lead extractions.
Roland-R-mix can be compared to the free plugin Mash Tactic and is able to remove a window from the stereo image that is determined by frequency and position. So a lead with for instance frequencies of 250Hz - 5kHz in any position can be removed.

In Spectra one can disassemble the sound into layers. It has algorithms for vocals, piano, drums and bass. What is left is put in the "other" layer. It also can disassemble a tune (or layers) into components like Tonal, Transients and Noise. Noise may contain a part of reverbs, but there is also a reverbs reduction algorithm.

My way of working is to split a tune into stems, then export the "other" layer into my DAW and use R-Mix to remove as much lead as possible without losing the rest. Then reimport the result in Spectra and do a remix.
In general this creates a good result. There is also a possibility to do "fine tuning" by removing specific frequencies that are still in.

Spectra also enables remixing mono recordings. I did this for Driftin' that is only available in mono (studio version).
Have a listen:
https://app.box.com/s/d81nqg0h19yhpdrdflqx9wg0t9gxxwev

Jan
JohanDeGreyze

Full Real Name: Jan Woestenburg

Return to Backing Tracks