Transferring MP3 files from Windows PCs to iPad air

Information about availability of backing tracks

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Transferring MP3 files from Windows PCs to iPad air

Postby Mikebeer » 02 Jan 2016, 11:28

Hi there
I want to transfer MP3 backing tracks from my music pc, running Windows 7 to my iPad Air so that I can rehearse while I'm away from home.
Have any of you on this fine forum done this? And, more importantly, how?
More specifically, what app do I need on my iPad, and any info about connecting iPad to pc would be helpful.
Many thanks in anticipation of your kind help.
Mike Beer

Mikebeer

Re: Transferring MP3 files from Windows PCs to iPad air

Postby Uncleboko » 02 Jan 2016, 11:33

Can't you just drag & drop the files?
Uncleboko

Postby noelford » 02 Jan 2016, 12:06

No, you can't drag and drop files onto iPads. iPads are not the same as computers like PCs and Macs, and they don't use files, only apps.

I'm still using an iPad 2 but I assume the later ones work similarly, since they all use the same OS. Here's what I do.

Make up playlists in iTunes.

Sync the iPad with the computer (connect via the USB charging cable)

You can then open the playlist in the music app that comes with the iPad. However, there is a problem when playing back because the tunes automatically play, one after the other all the way through the playlist. If you want to play single tracks, you need another app. I have OneTrackMind, which works really well, but my main app is JamUpPro. This is an app that provides amp and effects modelling but also has a superb jamming facility. Any playlists synced from your PC can be opened in JamUp and played back with a separate Volume control. You can also modify pitch and speed, independently. In addition to all this you get a loop facility and an eight-track recorder.

This is the set-up I use for gigging, Mike - it is of a high professional standard.
noelford

Postby Mikebeer » 02 Jan 2016, 12:32

Thanks Noel, that's just the kind of information that I needed. When I get back home next week I'll have go at it and I'll let you know how I got on!
All the best, Mike
Mikebeer

Postby Uncleboko » 02 Jan 2016, 16:41

Something like AnyTrans will do this.
Uncleboko

Postby JimN » 02 Jan 2016, 17:14

The Music app on an iPad or iPhone is a cut-down version of iTunes.

The way to do the transfer is:

(a) drag and drop the mp3s into iTunes ON THE PC

(b) highlight the mp3 files (you can do it singly or all together using alt/click) and then right-click them and choose Create AAC Version

(c) when that has been done (give it a few minutes), delete the mp3 versions (which you ought to have left highlighted)

(d) connect the iPad ()or iPhone, it's the same either way) to the PC with the USB lead

(e) let the device appear (top left) in iTunes and left-click it

(f) choose your options for syncing the device to your PC version of iTunes (there are so many ways of doing that that you're better off just exploring it and making your own decisions).
JimN

Postby chaddman » 02 Jan 2016, 17:53

You could also download the ROCKET PLAYER (free) app,with this you can set it to stop after each track. :D
chaddman

Postby Mikebeer » 02 Jan 2016, 17:57

Thanks Jim and everyone else. Plenty of ideas for me to get my teeth into next week!
Mikebeer

Postby Uncleboko » 02 Jan 2016, 20:27

Or - you could find a second hand Sansa Clip music player, and simply copy and paste your music files!
Uncleboko

Postby playitcoolmusic » 04 Jan 2016, 11:13

I use the amazing 'StageTraxx' App for gigs and practice, transfer your backing tracks via DropBox and it's a perfect combination.

http://fieryapps.com/stagetraxx.html
playitcoolmusic

Next

Return to Backing Tracks