OLIVIA on BBC2 - 15 September

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

OLIVIA on BBC2 - 15 September

Postby drakula63 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:20 pm

BBC 2 paid tribute to Olivia Newton-John last night with two programmes and the film Xanadu.

Unfortunately they didn't show Toomorrow, but Olivia Newton-John at the BBC and Only Olivia were well worth watching. ON-J at the beeb maybe suffered a bit from too many promo videos (Noel Edmonds introducing the video to Physical on Multi Coloured Swap Shop hardly constitutes 'at the BBC', or a load of kids watching the video to Suddenly on a big screen in the TOTP studio), but there were plenty of rare and genuine BBC performances as well. Her haunting rendition of Love Song is certainly the best I have heard, and at least the video for this was actually a clip from one of the specials she made with Cliff. Only Olivia, from September 1977, was even better. Some great filmed inserts were a nice touch, Livvy driving a vintage car through the countryside, and it was nice that she started the show with a medley of the two John Rostill songs that launched her career in the US (If You Love Me Let Me Know and Let Me Be There) and she made a point of mentioning that too. Highlight for me was when Steve Gray took to the piano and accompanied Olivia on a medley of old jazz standards. Their obvious delight was a joy to see. John Farrar could be heard on 'featured guitar' throughout, but remained off screen... in the shadows! If they are on iPlayer than both these shows are worth seeing. Recommended.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Re: OLIVIA on BBC2 - 15 September

Postby iefje » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:41 pm

I have recorded all three programmes from BBC2. So far, I have seen the first one and a part of the film. Quite strange that Cliff wasn't asked to star in the film, because he can be heard duetting with Olivia on "Suddenly".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Return to People