John Read - the father of Leo's Den

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

John Read - the father of Leo's Den

Postby David Martin » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:14 am

Juliette, his daughter, has let it be known that John passed away late last week. John's influence on the world of Shadows' music has been immense... but largely unseen. Through his work at Leo's Den, John made available a wealth of "our" music when the big boys had forgotten us. More than that, he encouraged people to play in this style, and promoted their cause, making them widely available. Indeed, he released the LEGEND EP/CD "SOMETHING'S AFOOT..." on his own Leo's Den label.
He and Pat were staunch supporters of Shadowmania and other like events...

You may never have met him... even heard if him... but we all owe him a debt of gratitude.

So I send love and condolences to his family at this difficult time. His work lives on through Leo"s Den and his daughter Juliette...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Re: John Read - the father of Leo's Den

Postby dave robinson » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:51 am

Sad news indeed, I knew John having met him over 22 years ago at Shadowmania and he helped me promote my backing tracks through his outlet. He was supportive to Past Masters and helped promote our 'No Retreat' offering for which we were grateful. He was a lovely man, my condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby clivea » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:26 pm

Will be sadly missed.
RIP John.
clivea

Full Real Name: T Clive Aspinall

Postby George Geddes » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:27 pm

A sad loss to our community. Sincere condolences to family and friends.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby MeBHank » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:54 pm

Horrible news. Meeting John was the first ever contact I had with the Shads family. He was a great man who has contributed so much to our community. He will be dreadfully missed.

My thoughts are with Pat, Juliette, and James.
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby JimN » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:52 pm

Since the rules for these boards don't allow large size photos, this is the best I can do for this 2003 photograph of John and Pat, along with Roberto Pistolesi and my right elbow. Alessandro Tonini took the photo in the "restaurant row" street in Versailles, just around the corner from the palace and the hotel where we were all staying. We all ended up together in a Thai restaurant and had a really good evening there and back at the hotel.

For some inexplicable reason, I still have the draft of a note of that French Shadows fan meeting, which I'll paste in here:

Hi Didier, Alessandro, Robbo et al,

What a weekend... just recovering after getting home late on Monday evening (and turning in for work the next morning). Here are my immediate memories of Versailles 2003 for the Friday:

Arrived at Gare du Nord at about mid-day local time - I had arrangements to meet up with Spacecaster and Alessandro (mucchino) at the station around 4pm (they were arriving from Charles de Gaulle Airport). Did some exploration around this (to me) unfamiliar area of Paris - taking particular care to locate the hotel where we had booked for Sunday night (after the fan-meeting).

Noted with alarm that my O2 mobile phone would not work in France, despite my having been assured that it would... Found a cyber café just off Rue La Fayette and caught up with the Community. Checked the O2 website - followed instructions - still no signs of meaningful life from the phone.

Returned to Gare du Nord and to my surprise, bumped into Didier and Pierre - waiting for Bruce, Warren, Dick and Licorice. By 16:20, no word from Roberto - perhaps his mobile phone isn't working in France either. Didier makes the exceptionally kind offer of a lift from the station to Versailles - and by now, I have decided that I will be lucky to meet up with Spacecaster and mucchino if neither phone works. So I gladly accept a ride with Didier, Warren and Dick. After an extended sightseeing tour of Paris (the Gare du Nord, Gare de L'Est, Notre Dame, Quai d'Orsay, the Louvre, Madeleine, Pompidou Centre, Champs Élysees, L'Etoile, Avenue Foch), through unbelievably heavy traffic, we eventually escape the orbit of the city when we reach the Bois de Boulogne and the (open?) road to Versailles. Whilst in the car, I eventually find that my phone does work, but only to receive the two calls Roberto makes to see where I am. We agree to meet up in Versailles.

At the Ibis Hotel, I check in and locate Roberto and Alessandro by using the hotel phone. We meet up (at last) and head for the restaurant quarter of the city. Perusing the menus, we encounter Pat and John from Leo's Den, and we decide to eat together at a Thai restaurant. We pass a very pleasant evening and eventually return to the Ibis, where certain other guests are (already) ensconced in the bar…
Attachments
John Pat Roberto.jpg
John, Pat and Roberto Pistolesi - Versailles, 2002 (taken by Alessandro Tonini)
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Return to People