Pete Seeger R.I.P.

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Pete Seeger R.I.P.

Postby alanbakewell » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:42 am

The news of Pete Seeger's death touched me this morning as I heard it on the early news.

I spent many happy hours in my youth at various folk clubs listening, ( and attempting to play
on my "Spanish" guitar ) many songs attributed to Pete Seeger.

That he had a great influence on so many people is undeniable. There can't be many who
have never heard "Where have all the flowers gone".

R.I.P. Pete. And thank you for the music.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Re: Pete Seeger R.I.P.

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:10 pm

Quite simply, after a career of over 70 years, Pete Seeger is irreplaceable.

Trying to think of a link between the Shads and Seeger, the nearest I've managed, by association, is the 'other' hammer song, This Hammer (Take This Hammer), popularised in the early 1940s by Leadbelly (who supposedly taught Seeger the 12-string guitar, probably in the Almanac Singers). Surprisingly, despite his huge repertoire of such songs, it seems he never recorded it himself, though.

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Re: Pete Seeger R.I.P.

Postby LANKY » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:38 am

A great collector and communicator of folk songs, but somewhat controversial. As Don McLean says on his website, Pete called himself a communist, but also a campaigner for human rights! Don is rightly confused by this, because as he says, no communist system has ever had any concern about human rights. Still, he should be remembered for his contribution to music. Pete wasn't the only famous musician whose political views were at odds with his musical messages.
LANKY

Return to People