Chris Howland R.I.P.

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Chris Howland R.I.P.

Postby GoldenStreet » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:28 pm

English broadcaster, singer and actor who made his name in Germany. Who remembers him presenting Granada TV's Junior Criss Cross Quiz in the 60s?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obitu ... 01556.html

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Re: Chris Howland R.I.P.

Postby JimN » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:50 pm

I don't remember Chris Howland from that (Granada) quiz programme, but I certainly remember him from his spell at co-presenting (with Bill Grundy) Granada Television's "People And Places".

When Chris Howland left, it was announced that he was going to live in Germany, and he even "sang" (mimed) to a German-language record he had already made, which was called "The Mother Is Always Around" (that was the English translation - the song was a medium-paced waltz, and I only ever heard it that once). It seemed odd at the time, because even though Chris had always been the "light relief" member of the presenting team, there had never, to my recollection, been any previous mention of him singing. And what the connection with Germany was, I have no idea (perhaps he had been there during National Service).

He was replaced by Irishman Gay Byrne, who worked with Bill Grundy throughout the best-remembered period for "People And Places" - when the Beatles appeared on it, live in the studio (late 1962, just after the release of "Love Me Do").

PS: Here he is, with that song (in German):

Stereo - and I remember the tune, even though I'd only ever heard it once before, more than fifty years ago.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Peter K » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Chris Howland lived in Germany since the end of the fourties. He did some jobs as radio dj ( with the British Forces Network and with German radio stations ).
He was very popular as host of the German TV show " Music from Studio B ". He also had several hit singles during the fifties and the sixties, all sung in German. In addition to this Chris had some success as actor in several German movies. He gave himself the nickname " Heinrich Pumpernickel " as he loved the word Pumpernickel. Pumpernickel is in fact a very special dark bread, baken in Northrhine-Westfalia, where Chris worked for the BFN / BFBS.

Peter K
Peter K

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:53 am

Quote from the Wikipedia article about Criss Cross Quiz...

Additionally, a children's version of the show called Junior Criss Cross Quiz was produced starting in 1957 (the same year the adult version started). Kids played the game, but for prizes instead of money. This series ran from 13 November 1957 to 29 June 1967. Presenters on the children's version were: Jeremy Hawk, Chris Kelly, Bob Holness, Mike Sarne, Chris Howland, Gordon Luck, Peter Wheeler, Bill Grundy, Danny Blanchflower and Barbara Kelly.

Various personalities (including Mark Sarne and Danny Blanchflower!), not to mention the redoubtable Bill Grundy, did stints as presenters!

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby JimN » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:14 pm

GoldenStreet wrote:Quote from the Wikipedia article about Criss Cross Quiz...

Additionally, a children's version of the show called Junior Criss Cross Quiz was produced starting in 1957 (the same year the adult version started). Kids played the game, but for prizes instead of money. This series ran from 13 November 1957 to 29 June 1967. Presenters on the children's version were: Jeremy Hawk, Chris Kelly, Bob Holness, Mike Sarne, Chris Howland, Gordon Luck, Peter Wheeler, Bill Grundy, Danny Blanchflower and Barbara Kelly.

Various personalities (including Mark Sarne and Danny Blanchflower!), not to mention the redoubtable Bill Grundy, did stints as presenters!

Bill

I remember both "Criss Cross Quiz" and "Junior Criss Cross Quiz"; I just don't remember Chris Howland on it.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Return to People