Jim Hall RIP

Anything about people who are not Shadows members

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Jim Hall RIP

Postby George Geddes » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Legendary chord maestro Jim Hall has passed away at the age of 84:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... ed-83.html

He once claimed to have spent a day sightseeing in some city with Wes Montgomery, trying to get Wes's thumb jammed in a car door...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Re: Jim Hall RIP

Postby JimN » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:14 pm

George Geddes wrote:Legendary chord maestro Jim Hall has passed away at the age of 84:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/worldfolkandjazz/10510182/Jim-Hall-jazz-guitar-great-dies-aged-83.html

He once claimed to have spent a day sightseeing in some city with Wes Montgomery, trying to get Wes's thumb jammed in a car door...
George

I read the reports yesterday, but they were still unconfirmed.

Jim Hall was always something of a legend, with much of his notoriety stemming from his involvement in the late fifties album "The Train And the River", with clarinettist Jimmy Giuffre. In Jim Hall, the world has essentially lost the last of that amazing post-war generation of bebop guitarists. Very sad...

My son and I were lucky enough to see Jim play two sets at the Iridium Club in New York at one of the venue's Les Paul Trio nights (January 2011). The queue for admission snaked around the block from the entrance in Broadway, along 51st Street and almost into Seventh Avenue - just like in the days when Les used to play there.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Jim Hall RIP

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:04 pm

GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Return to People