Beginner Help

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Beginner Help

Postby JohnBassist » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:51 pm

d jones wrote:hi everyone ...... Having been a shads fan all my life i went for a burns rostill bass but i don't want to take it out of it's case, just open it every now and than to admire.
Dave

Hi Dave - I know what you mean 'cos the Burns Rostill Bass is one really great piece of equipment - (although by some reports JR was not too keen on it and preferred his Fender). I treated myself to one earlier this year and certainly have no regrets - some folk don't like the "toast-rack" fitting but I find it helps me when I need to play "forward"and the action overall is excellent. I'm using it at a gig this evening (albeit not a Shadows-type gig) and whenever I use it amongst non-Shadows musos it always causes considerable interest - the guitar, NOT my playing :roll: . Anyway, I hope your association with your Rostill bass is a long, happy and eventful one.
Best wishes
John
JohnBassist

Postby d jones » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:13 pm

Hi John hope the gig went well last night and thank you for kind words of encouragement it's nice to know that the experienced players have time to help all of us novices ,all the best !

Dave
d jones

Postby Dranna » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:22 pm

Hello everyone!

This is a bit out of the topic, but you all seem so helpful...

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if the bass part of all the Shadows pieces up to 1963 were played with a plectrum. If not, which pieces weren't (Blue Star? Peace Pipe)?

Thanks so much!

Regards!
Anna
Dranna

Postby des mcneill » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi Anna,
I can't be sure about "all" the recordings but suspect the majority,especially Jet's were played with the plectrum. I will stand to be corrected if anyone knows otherwise. I think Peacepipe was definitely plectrum.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Yes I am pretty sure that both Jet and Licorice used a pick on all or most of their Shadows recordings. Plectrum plus flat wound strings plus the damper on the Precision bridge will give you the sound.

John also used a pick in the main but there is video of him using his fingers in certain cases.

Later on, with roundwound strings, Alan nearly always used a pick and Mark nearly always uses his fingers.

Hope this helps :)

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Dranna » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi Des and Iain!

Thank you so much for answering my question.

I have almost almost used my index and middle fingers to pluck the strings. I guess I will have to get used to playing with a plectrum, as I do mostly Shadows pieces now. It should be fun trying to get the right sound.

Thank you once again, and warm regards!
Anna
Dranna

Postby ShadsDrums » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi David (and Dave)

There is a lot of downloadable tablature on the Berkshire Shadows Forum. Come along to: www.berkshireshadows.org/forums and register, then sign in and have a look at the DOWNLOADS area.

All the best
Chris
ShadsDrums

Full Real Name: Chris Kenward

Postby shadowhunters » Mon May 31, 2010 10:19 am

hi Didier, thanks for that french website, great help, although the rhythm part is very strange (as it's french,) could you ( or any-one else) help me :?: thanks in advance, Sam
shadowhunters

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:56 pm

d jones wrote:i went for a burns rostill bass but i don't want to take it out of it's case, just open it every now and than to admire.

Play it, play it! The toast rack will force you to play up near the neck as John did. Add a plectrum, flatwound strings and middle+neck or middle+bridge pickups, and you can get a pretty decent Rostill-ish sound.

I use mine for general r'n'r gigs and it not only looks good, it does the biz!

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Previous

Return to Bass and Bass Players