A bass "newbie"...

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

A bass "newbie"...

Postby David Martin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:48 am

I've been playing bass every now and then for a long time, but not really worked at being proficient. Now, playing bass in a rock band, I generally use a pick, but every now and then, use my fingers. ..

I can get a good even sound using my forefinger - James Jamerson style - but when I introduce my second and third fingers I get extraneous noises of nails etc and a different tone from each finger. What am I doing wrong?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Re: A bass "newbie"...

Postby JohnBassist » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi David
I don't think with your musical experience anyone would dare to call you a "newbie" - :lol: -perhaps a "musician widening his horizons slightly" - ;).

As for the "finger problem" I think perhaps forefingers are naturally the strongest finger and therefore give a firmer, stronger, more even sound than the other fingers especially in the early days of "finger-pickin'" - and then of course you gotta keep your fingernails well trimmed (or chewed).

I know all the above is just basic common s. but I really just wanted an excuse to welcome you to the wonderful (and oft-maligned ;) world of bass playing - and to wish you a great 2010.

John
JohnBassist

Postby des mcneill » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi David,
I've got the same problem,the tip of one of my fingers is slightly mis-shaped due to a little accident years ago,I have to keep the nail very short indeed to prevent an unwanted "click". I normally use a pick,-prefer it anyway.
Good luck for 2010.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby George Geddes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:13 pm

Honestly, the manners of these bass people! Speaking before they've been spoken to.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Paulps » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:27 pm

I tend to use my thumb most of the time, switching to a pick for the faster numbers (Tales of a Raggy Tramline etc.) I have tried using my fingers on occasion, (FBI in particular) but still revert to thumb unless I really concentrate.
Paulps

Postby davidturner » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:00 pm

From what I have read your doing a hell of a good job! I started learning the bass about 2 to 3 months ago. I have tried to use my fingers, but there seems to be a brain-finger communication problem! I have just mastered F.B.I. using my thumb or the pick, I think it is down to your preference. I am almost there with South of the Border, and have found I can only do it with the pick! I dunno.
Have fun anyway.
davidturner

Postby Dranna » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if the bass part of all the Shadows pieces up to 1963 were played with a plectrum. If not, which pieces weren't (Blue Star? Peace Pipe)?

Thanks so much!

Regards!
Anna
Last edited by Dranna on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dranna

Postby Mike Honey » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:28 pm

I do hope i'm not teaching 'Granny to suck eggs' but heres a little tip that i was given by my original teacher yonks ago and i now pass it on to my pupils. It holds good for guitar and bass.
The aim is to improve brain/nerve/muscle response and i do it all the time even now!. Firstly
using both hands , the fingers are numbered normally;1 2 3 and 4 (4 being little finger). Start by tapping 1 and 3 together (on a table or even steering wheel whilst driving). when you can easily do that tap 2 and 4. Then tap both pairs alternately. It can be quite difficult at first , even for long time players. finally practise changing the pairs; 1 and 2, 3 and 4 ,2and 4 you will find that the brain/nerve ending response speeds up quite dramatically and the little muscles between the fingers will strengthen up also. Easier to do than explain!!

Mike
Mike Honey

Postby des mcneill » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi Anna,
Can't be certain about "all" the recordings but I would think the majority,especially Jet's parts were played using a plectrum,but maybe someone else knows better.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby Dranna » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi Des!

Thank you so much for answering my question.

I have almost almost used my index and middle fingers to pluck the strings. I guess I will have to get used to playing with a plectrum, as I do mostly Shadows pieces now. It should be fun trying to get the right sound.

Thank you once again, and warm regards!
Anna
Dranna

Next

Return to Bass and Bass Players